NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the car 6 months ago in Excellent condition with about 220000 KMS on it. Have driven it 10,000 kms since with no problem.... other than the auto shifting was a bit rough. But no worries eh///it still drove nice. Then it slipped 3 X one day, took it in to a VW only repair shop and replaced bad old fluid with a new Filter. Drove it 5KM and it slipped again. Flatbedded it back to garage and replaced side steel cove with new gasket because oil was seeping through rusted metal. Filled it up with more fluid. Drove it home and again 5KM down the road it slipped again....Argh. Spent $425.00 so far, do I try the Lucas method now or go and get a rebuilt with new update hardware from repudable VW tranny shop at cost of $2300.00 plus tax??????????? Help any one. I have not had a tranny problem in 26 years in any vehicle I have owned. I do all my own repairs: TDI timing belts, water pumps etc etc,Could I rebuild my own tranny?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,923 Posts
VW autos are known to be problematic, and once a trans starts slipping I think its about the end. My husband's Honda's trans has been slipping for the last 20,000 miles or so. Trans fluid changed at 90,000, 150,000, 160,000, and 170,000. Last change there was definitely pieces of metal on the drain plug and in the fluid. Change helped for about a day before the slipping started again. We're just driving it until it completely gives out. Then either getting another car or doing a manual swap, as those Honda autos in that generation were also really awful.

Since you are using kms, is that price in USD? Seems awfully low to me really, even for just the trans. But you can also do a 5-speed swap, the entire job, for about that price too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Unfortunately, as noted by "SmileyBug", VW automatic transmissions are known weak-points for all VW's. A stop-gap measure that has worked temporarily is to replace the valve-body of the VW automatic transmission, but this only seems to delay the inevitable complete failure by a few months/years. The only large-scale firm that provides refurbished transmission for the VW marketplace is GEX International, based in Booneville, Arkansas (VW Engine & Transmission - Premium Rebuilt Volkswagen Engines & Transmissions for your VW). Ominously, when you select the tab for "Rebuilt Volkswagen Transmissions", it states, "We have NO automatic transmissions available"; not a good sign... :(

Only the VW manual transmissions seem to be able to realistically hold-up for the life of the car. And rebuilt/refurbished VW manual transmissions are fairly readily available. As suggested by "SmileyBug", an automatic-to-manual transmission transplant might represent the best long-term option.

Good Luck! :cool:

·
5/23/10 <3
10,923 Posts
AFAIK, the valve body replacement deals with hard shifting, not slipping. But I don't really know much about transmissions in that much detail so it could deal with that as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Smileybug,

Yes, you are correct; I simply mentioned that the valve-body work can sometimes occasionally be used to buy some time/life-span on VW auto transmissions. But the main point I was trying to make was that a manual transmission is really the way to go for long-term reliability. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank all for the replies and info. I think I will throw some Lucas in it and drive it in the ground. Then put a 5 speed in it. I have a 99 jetta with a TDI in it that is also a possibility.... Was thinking of putting that TDI in a jeep yj one day since the body on the Jetta is starting to go... But any how will keep you all posted on how this tranny performs. Thanks again!:)

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
You all hit all the right points and I agree- manual swap would be the best way to go.

Hey, there's this site that I've had bookmarked for a while. Any of you all privy to them?

The price looks pretty good on the auto tranny. Don't know if these folk are legit or not. What say you?

Anyhoo, here's the site to decide for yourselves. CLICK HERE

·
5/23/10 <3
10,923 Posts
Parts Place is legit. They have a lot of diesel parts, and I think we've bought from them before (I know we look there for parts a lot). Good site, IMO.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Parts Place is legit. They have a lot of diesel parts, and I think we've bought from them before (I know we look there for parts a lot). Good site, IMO.
Being that it's coming from you, I know it's legit. Thanks kiddo- glad I bookmarked it:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:)Just an update on our slipping problem. Sent the car for a transmission rebuild a couple of weeks ago and have had it back for about 2 weeks now and it is running (shifting) better than it has ever shifted. Had a wonderfull price of $2100.00 plus taxes. I am bringing it in this Friday for a visuall and drive test inspection from the mechanic. I think it was money well spent. Put winter tires on and then realized that both back calipers were leaking oil. So replaced them both yesterday with new shoes. Just thought I'd share the update. Found out as well that I have a hole in the cat. Any ideas on a good cat or a complete exhaust system?????

·
Registered
406 Posts
You all hit all the right points and I agree- manual swap would be the best way to go.

Hey, there's this site that I've had bookmarked for a while. Any of you all privy to them?

The price looks pretty good on the auto tranny. Don't know if these folk are legit or not. What say you?

Anyhoo, here's the site to decide for yourselves. CLICK HERE
that website is on the money, i will be breaking my piggy bank soon dude!!!!:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts