NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have in the past gotten some good info from the members on this site. I am having a problem with the cooling fans not coming on....2003 / 2 litre / 120K miles
The coolant level is good / no leakage noted
fuses and fusable links are good
the fans run with the A/C selected ON
I found a relay location chart, which did not exactly match my vehicles locations / designator #'s
At this point I cannot for sure determine the fan relay location.
the fan control module may be the issue, although why do the fans operate in A/C mode.
Any help would be appreciated !!

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you checked to see if you radiator temp sensor is good? These can be the culprit when everything else checks out. Look for the thread that shows you how to jump the connectors from that location and it will tell you if your fan control module is good or not.
If the fans turn on when you jump it from the radiator temp sensor plug, the fan control module is good and there is a good possibility that your radiator temp sensor is bad. About $25 - $30 dollars I believe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, I replaced the coolant radiator temp sensor with no improvement, however there was coolant on the connector side of the removed one so it needed it anyway. I found a 'fan relay module' P/n 1J0919506, on eBay for a great price, under $25, the Dealer wants over $200 for this part... they really bend you over with the mark-ups! This did correct my problem, it was not bad changing it out, 2 mount bolts just forward of the base of the battery tray. I did not have a tool that would remove the temp. sensor, but a small pipe wrench worked for initial loosening.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad to hear that you found the problem. There are so many little things that can throw the cooling system out of whack. Totally agree with you on the dealer prices! Ebay can be such a savior with prices but I recently had the hassle of dealing with two wrong parts sent.
And it wasn't something small like a door handle so it made returning them more of an issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My car has been in the shop with a cooling issue similar to this. The mechanic is telling me that it is the Fan Control Module that isn't working. Something along the lines of 9/10 pins are active but the one doesn't? For these modules I'm being told that there is a specific module (ending in E/H) that is needed for a 99 2.0. Is this true? Do I really need to spend $300 for a new one? I found one on Amazon for $16.00 here. Will this one work? Anyone know?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts