NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pdxkevy
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the key there is a very brief engine noise like the beginning of it wanting to crank but then nothing.Replaced starter, still same issue. Anyone had a similar issue or have any clues as to what it might be. Thanks
Here is a link to a video I made of the issue. The engine sound is very faint just as the key is turned.
https://youtu.be/k_kS27FE54U

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like a power issue. I’d Check the ground on the battery and make sure your cables are clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Pdxkevy
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scrubbed down all the battery grounds and cleaned with contact cleaner. Still the same. Turn the key and all I get is "wurr wurr" then nothing. The research continues...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Get out your multi-meter. If you don't have one go to Walmart and get a cheapie digital one. Since youv'e already replaced your starter with a new or rebuilt Bosch we'll say that's ok for now.

With the multi-meter check your battery. Sitting in the driveway not running your battery should be around 12.6v. Anything less than 12.2 is essentially dead. You can try to charge it but if it looses the charge overnight its dead.

My battery right now is about 12.3. when the weather gets cold again I'll be buying a new battery it's really dead right now it just doesn't know it yet.

This is where you really need that multi-meter because it may not have been your starter that was bad, it could well have been your battery or your alternator. A multi meter is invaluable in determining which it is, and not just throwing parts at it till you solve the problem.

Fully charge the battery 12.6-12.8v it won't keep 12.8 but it should be no less than 12.5-12.6 in the morning.

If the car starts put the multi-meter back on the battery, you should now be seeing 13.8-14.5v that means your alternator is keeping your battery charged so there is enough juice to run the starter to get that high compression oil burner going.

Less than 13.5 and your alternator not your starter needed replacing. When an alternator craps out and doesn't keep your battery charged properly and you drain the battery a couple of times trying to start the car it often kills the battery also.

Of course we're assuming that it's one part of the charging starting system that is the problem and that your timing belt is still intact and hasn't lost any teeth.

·
Pdxkevy
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Always tested start with full 12.6 charge so far, obviously needing to top of with charger. I suspect maybe alternator issue but i'm gonna check some relays first.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Almost forgot take a look at the fuse block on top of the battery, make sure that first cable and the metal fuse on the left, the big red one is clean and not melted. You should be able to get battery voltage on each side of it.

·
Pdxkevy
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still trouble shooting...

Having already replaced the starter, I started looking at the wiring diagram. I read that a cause for this issue might be the Park/Neutral position relay (175) Replaced it. Still same issue. I have created an new video from inside the engine compartment which highlights the issue more clearly. I have the bug jumped to my S10 just to insure enough juice, but the beetle battery on it's own read 12.8 even after several start attempts.
https://youtu.be/ifGs7dXGaYI

Any wisdom on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

·
Pdxkevy
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Almost forgot take a look at the fuse block on top of the battery, make sure that first cable and the metal fuse on the left, the big red one is clean and not melted. You should be able to get battery voltage on each side of it.
All battery topside fuses check out ok. Thanks for the heads up

·
5/23/10 <3
10,972 Posts
In your video, I don't see the glow plug light come on. If that's the case, I would replace your 109 relay.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Did you put a battery charger on your battery and fully charge it. Use that multimeter and check the battery voltage, then put the red lead down on the starter stud, (car not running). The voltage at the stud should be the same as at the battery if its significantly less change the cable between the battery and the starter. Or clean up the connections.

There are also a bunch of grounds under the battery tray that should be cleaned up once in a while. You will have to remove the battery and battery tray to get to those.

I too noticed that your glow plug light does not come on. That is usually indicative of a 109 relay problem.

https://www.idparts.com/relay-109-a4b4a3-p-350.html

Change the relay it's up under the dash over your feet, right on top of that big 377 relay (wipers)making it hard to see. Yours is probably one of the old black models the new ones are grey.

I'm not sure the 109 is entirely your issue usually a failed 109 will allow the engine to crank until the battery goes dead it just won't allow the car to start.

I know you said you took a look at the fuses on top of the battery, however did you pull the little 10mm nuts off and clean up each connection? A friend of mine was having starting issues on his diesel bug and put in 3 different starters. He had "inspected" those fuses and they looked good, finally he took the first two apart and found a bit of corrosion under both, he cleaned them up and the car started fine.

·
Pdxkevy
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glow plug light comes on for a second then foes out. Right above the 60 mph mark. I'll check 109 though.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I must of missed that, then your 109 is probably fine. So that would leave that fuse block on the battery. Take the first two wires off that and clean them up. If you have 12.6 on your battery, somehow that 12.6 is not getting to your starter. Did you check the voltage at the starter stud?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I’d do a battery reset (disconnect cables and hold them together for 30 seconds). I had a similar issue with my 02 and that seemed to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts