VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
BumbleBeetle
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently changed my timing belt but ran into a hiccup. I couldn’t torque down my tensioner pulley. It just reaches a point where i could turn the nut either way and it didn’t get tighter or looser. I presume something is threaded. I have a few questions around this. So far my timing belt hasn’t given me any trouble despite this. How long can/should I expect the belt to stay tight? Has anyone else run into this same problem? And what are my options for fixing this nut/bolt on the tensioner when it comes time to do so?
Thx much!!

·
Registered
15,201 Posts
Tighening the pulley; is a relatively straight forward procedure. Is the tensioner; new or are you reusing the old one? It is recommended to replace ALL the parts in the timing belt parh; including the waterpump. One detail is to make sure of; is the "tab" on the tensioner; goes into the hole or square edge in/on the block and set the correct tension (line up the pointer/mark), before tightening the pulley down.

This detailed video; might be helpful?

https://youtu.be/_8LPnqw2bEk

If you are still struggling i would inspect the threads on the nut and the stud on the block for damage. If the threads are damaged; becuase of the crucial nature of the timing belt, possible catastrophic damage that could result from a timing belt failure, I would replace the nut/stud with new parts. The local VW dealer can probably get you what you need.

Check out the video, inspect your parts for thread damage and let us know how it goes! thanks! :)

·
BumbleBeetle
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s been about a year. Sorry I didn’t reply. The tensioner has held up fine so far, so I’m assuming it’ll last until I need to change the timing belt again. I’m worried about getting the tensioner off and re-tensioned when that time come. But I’ll cross that bridge when I get there I guess... ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts