VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ylello
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! You have always helped me before so I am praying you can now.
I have a 2003 Gas Beetle. She's had check engine light issues for pretty much the life of her, I am the second owner.
I can't pass NJ inspection because of the light, they won't even do the emissions seeing it. It comes and goes, and the mechanic who fixed it last time just kept throwing parts at it until I guess we got lucky and the light stayed off long enough for him to pass it.
Flash forward to two years later and these are the codes that came up today Text Handwriting Document Paper Font

He sent me to the VW dealership because he thinks I may need a new computer. :( I am really hoping that's not the case so I thought I would ask here first, Ftr she runs fine no issues at all.

Thanks for any light you can shed.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
You have a lot of short to ground codes. I'd start by checking out all the grounds and making sure they are clean. Also battery connections and such.

·
Ylello
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's actually what the VW Service guy said; it looks more like a wiring issue and not as much like a computer issue, given all the intermittent codes. He said if they were coming up "Static" he would be more inclined to think it was the computer. They are going to take a look tomorrow and let me know. I really hate going to the dealership but I don't have a VW mechanic, and this is beyond my regular mechanic's comfort zone.
If anyone knows of a fair VW mechanic around the Jersey Shore area please let me know. Thanks

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts

·
Ylello
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can start by checking this list: Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State - TDIClub Forums

They are TDI mechanics but most work on gassers as well.

Thanks much.. The only mechanic within reasonable distance only works on Diesels :( at this point the dealership is my only option. I'm hoping it's just ground fault shorts because if it needs a new computer I can't do it. I'll just drive her with the bad inspection sticker and pray.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
This is NOT an uncommon problem, but there have not be a lot of solid reports on what resolved the issue.

Search around on the Internet.

You will see a lot of folks say to replace the fuel pump relay.

Seems like a simple and quick thing to start with.

Also check the fuses and fuse block on top of the battery for problems.

·
Registered
758 Posts
And check the main grounds. There is one under the battery tray that can go bad, so I'd clean that when you check all of the fuses on top of the battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts