VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey looking for help. 2003 convertible beetle Took my car to the shop about 2 months ago replaced the fuel pump replay because my car wouldn’t start , However that didn’t completely fix the problem I know they said you would have to buy a certain brand relay not sure which kind my mechanic used. My car starts fine now however My car while idle acts like it wants to cut off while parked it did this before replacing the relay but it’ll do it only for about a second and then everything is normal and it’ll repeat maybe a min or 2 later depending on how long I’m sitting in park . Sometimes on a very rare occasion it’ll randomly shut off no warning and cut back on but id have to re crank it. Also sometimes few lights on the dash flicker and then it turn back on immediately ( in park ) and drives with zero problem & no warning lights i would have to crank it again but it starts back up with no problem. Know what this could be ? Almost ready to replace my girl 😭😩 I don’t need her cutting off on me embarrassing me like that 😒😂 doesn’t help that I have an motor vehicle inspection to do but I don’t wanna go if I know my car isn’t in good shape.

p.s something I noticed. I went to turn my high beams on because I couldn’t see and car almost acted like it wanted to give out to I turned them off I drove on the highway for about 10 mins and when I got to my destination & parked car flicked and act like it was going to die. I park it leave it for about an hour and a half and it started up and drove fine all the way back home.It’s annoying I don’t know when my car will give out on me some days it doesn’t do this at all.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Have you had your battery/charging system checked? Scanned for codes? Replaced the fuel filter? What did the shop do to troubleshoot, or did they just throw a relay in hoping that was the fix?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you had your battery/charging system checked? Scanned for codes? Replaced the fuel filter? What did the shop do to troubleshoot, or did they just throw a relay in hoping that was the fix?
He said he traced it back to the relay whatever that means , I’m assuming he tested everything cuz I told him fix it whatever comes up I have the money to fix it and the only thing he said was it was the relay and get some coolant and a quart of oil for the engine that’s it. And I did. In my car now it’s idling for about 45 mins now and it’s been fine. Today is one of the warmer days :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do u think it has to do with the battery or something? I think when I drive at night( using head lights ) or use a lot of power the car acts crazy I got the car about 9 months ago. That’s when the “ new “ battery was put in by the dealer.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
It could be. Any auto parts store should be able to check your battery and charging system for free. Would be a good place to start.

Have you talked to the shop since then to tell them you were still having problems?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could be. Any auto parts store should be able to check your battery and charging system for free. Would be a good place to start.

Have you talked to the shop since then to tell them you were still having problems?
Okay I’ll do that today and I’ll come back and update you. & I have actually. After he replaced the relay I believe the next day or so it did the same so I quickly drove it to him *he’s around the corner. He told me drive around the block and see if anything happens. Nothing did , he then told me jus make sure my car is warmed up before pulling off which I always do I wait until the temp light goes off. After that the problem didn’t occur again until now.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
If you decide to try troubleshooting the problem yourself; i would start, by scanning for trouble codes and as noted, have the charging system checked out, tested (both can be done for free at most auto parts stores), The fuel pump relay replacement; should be stribel or genuine vw/stribel; aftermarket fuel pump relays, available at most auto parts storied, are well known for causing various running problems.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Do you have an engine light on? If the car is acting up when there is high electrical usage it could be that your alternator is not up to peak efficiency. An alternator typically charges the battery at about 13.8-14.4 volts when the car is running. When the charging rate falls below 13.4 or so electrical issues can result. If you have the charging system checked like Smiley suggests and I would encourage you to do that, be sure you turn the hi beams on and heater fan on full and ask what the rate of charge is with those items running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts