NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG, are you kidding me on pulling the dashboard, steering wheel, etc to replace the heater core? Is there no easier way to do this?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, put 20 psi in and it went down fairly quick. Blew it out as well to ensure it had no blockage.

I'm not planning on dealing with this right away so maybe others can chime in with suggestions?

Btw, has anyone had any luck with any of the stop leak products for this sort of problem? I know many of the products are much better than the ones that came out several years ago.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
So, you live in the SouthWest/Arizona; its very hot now, I doubt you will be using your heater for awhile. So, for now, just bypass it with some hose/connectors or some pipe. Deal with it, when you have the time or feel like accepting the challenge?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's already bypassed, I was just trying to find out why the PO bypassed it. Now I know.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Vw is not the only car that you need to disassemble the dashboard. My old Ford Expedition was the same way. The easiest heater core I ever did was a Ford Aerostar, half a dozen screws, remove a plastic air box, a couple of bolts and out it comes. The worst problem was dealing with the special “quick disconnect “ fittings on the coolant line without the special tool.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vw is not the only car that you need to disassemble the dashboard. My old Ford Expedition was the same way. The easiest heater core I ever did was a Ford Aerostar, half a dozen screws, remove a plastic air box, a couple of bolts and out it comes. The worst problem was dealing with the special “quick disconnect “ fittings on the coolant line without the special tool.
I've never had the pleasure of this repair. I'm just amazed that auto engineers couldn't come up with a better solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts