NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty...So I am chasing an/multiple oil leak on a 03 NB. I have put dye in the engine oil and it really didn't identify the VCG. From what I can tell the VCG and cam chain tensioner are new and the D-side on the top is clean and dry. So with that being said when I look on the backside of the engine by the turbo, the head gasket illuminates but it's not dripping. However, the trans is soaked and illuminated. The drain plug leaks like a sieve lol but hopefully that's just a new plug and copper washer. The car leaks constantly whether running or not. Headgasket? Rear main seal? I am stumped more looks like leaning to the rear main?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Not sure where you’re located but the underneath of your car is very clean. You say it doesn’t drip? If it doesn’t drip it’s not leaking much. The most common area for a vw to leak oil is the valve cover, because it at the top of the engine you get a nice black layer of dirty oil all down the back of your engine. I don’t really see that on yours.

How much oil does it use between oil changes? Less than a quart over 10k miles? I wouldn’t worry about that small of an amount. Now if you were using a quart every 2-3k miles or more you should probably find the leak. If you’re not dripping on the concrete then you’re probably not using a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so my fault here I wasnt very specific. The headgasket itself isnt dripping...I do have multiple drips coming off the transmission and it will puddle. I did clean the engine top and bottom really well before the dye to try to get a good score of the leak location. The top of the engine is nice...half moon looks great and the valve cover looks great as well. I'm just thinking due to the location of the leaks coming off the trans and it illuminates with the dye with the uv flashlight it leads me to believe it's the rear main. Would it leak/blowby along the headgasket?

·
Registered
555 Posts
A rear seal will drip off the bottom of the bell housing. However before you condemn the rear seal make sure it’s not leaking from above and just working it’s way down to the bottom of the bell housing. If you have oil on top of the transmission then something else besides the rear seal is leaking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts