NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have got several codes about O2 sensor so I changed the O2 sensor (after the cat). I started the car and clear the code, everything seems good. However, after driver for a while, the engine light was set again and the code is P0038. I can clear the code and it will bet again. Could anybody give me some advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,627 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en-us&ei=IHwXWdSdNNGCjwOU1pCoCg&q=P0038+volkswagen&oq=P0038+volkswagen&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3..33i160k1l3.23199.29691.0.30396.12.12.0.0.0.0.921.3306.0j1j8j1j6-1.11.0....0...1.1.64.mobile-gws-serp..1.11.3303...0j0j35i39k1j0i22i30k1.KJ57vyX9qUE&dlnr=1&sei=QHwXWaHTFYuKjwOwlajQBA

I replaced a similar sensor on my car and when i cleared the code; it came back or was still there. So, i did a hard reset and the code went away and stayed away. Give it a shot, it is worth a try; remove the positive/negative cables. Then, touch them together for a minute or so and reinstall.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cold car

I start the engine this morning, when the car is cold, the engine light is set again. I clear it but on again. After about 1 minute (I think the car is not cold), the light is off after I clear it again. Any suggestion to this issue?Do I need change a new O2 sensor?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
11,627 Posts
Bosch parts site; list these two 02 sensors as being correct: (I recommend going with the oem version; plug is already installed, same as original stock part):

Universal Oxygen (O2) Sensors Premium Universal Oxygen Sensors with OE SmartLink are quick and easy to install. Each sensor has two-feet length of sensor wire to allow maximum replacement of worn harnesses.
Engine Designation: AVH,AZG,BDC, Position: Downstream

Part Number:

View Product
Premium Oxygen (O2) Sensors Bosch invented the automotive oxygen sensor, which is also referred to as an O2 sensor or lambda sensor. Our Premium Oxygen Sensors are thimble and planar switching sensors that are designed to meet or exceed OE specifications.
Engine Designation: AVH,AZG,BDC, Position: Downstream

Part Number:

On the amazon site; they are not showing the same part number, that Bosch shows on their site (15733). You might check the box it came in and confirm; that you have the right sensor. If you still can't figure it out; get the Bosch part number off of the 02 sensor itself and call Bosch tech support, see what they say. I have called them before; they are excellent, responsive and very helpful folks:

CONTACT US 888 715 3616
IN NORTH AMERICA
8AM - 5PM CST MON-FRI

Aside from that; as noted, I would do a hard reset and see if the trouble code goes away. If it doesn't; then I would do some testing and confirm, the plug is installed correctly, the heater circuit tests ok and then go on, to do the testing procedures outlined in the manual (confirm the plug to the ecu is ok).

If you have access to a scan tool with live data; you could see, if the 02 sensor is working.

service manual testing procedures for downstream 02 sensor:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle L4-2.0L (AZG) (2003) > Powertrain Management > Sensors and Switches - Powertrain Management > Sensors and Switches - Computers and Control Systems > Oxygen Sensor > Component Information > Testing and Inspecti

1 - 7 of 7 Posts