VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter’s 2003 1.9L TDI automatic New Beetle sat for a couple of weeks here in Florida (winter but maybe only one or two nights below freezing) and now won’t start.
-It cranks just fine.
-Glow plug light comes on briefly when turning on.
-Started with starter fluid.
-The fuel filter barely has any fuel in it.
-No fuel comes from tank to the filter when trying to start the engine.
-We went to check the sender unit fuel pump under the back seat (part 1J0919050 I believe) and there’s diesel puddled around the pump under the cover.
-So it seams the seal is no good (also?)

So...

-I don’t want to order a pump then find out that wasn’t the issue.
-Does this sound like we simply need to replace that unit?
-Are there other issues that fit the description?

·
Registered
55 Posts
1.9 turbo diesel, as the title says it died like the key was shut off and now won't start. I have checked all fuses and replaced relay 109 and still no start. We jumped the injector pump solenoid the same day it died and it fired. Next day tried to do it again but with basically speaker wire and no start. I notice the glow plug light doesn't come on but I don't really recall seeing it before. It comes on with the old relay bypassed by using a zip tie. I'll double check in a while. Any ideas would be awesome! I ordered a ignition switch just in case and needing to research what pin to check to see if ecu is getting 9Apps Showbox power.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The glow plug light not coming on is classic 109 failure. Maybe you got a bad new part right out of the box.

However you need to pull the top part of the timing belt cover and the get a 19mm 12 point socket and using the crank bolt rotate the engine one complete turn while inspecting the timing belt. You are looking for stripped/missing teeth on the belt.

If the belt is intact here is white dogs excellent tutorial on a 1.9 diesel not starting. Just work through it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts