VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Posting to see if there is any interest. I have a red exterior, tan interior 2003 beetle that is in fair condition, runs, but needs engine repair. Was quoted 4-6K for the work and I don't think I can justify that cost. Family is heavily pressuring me to get a new car and I have to admit they have a point. However, this is a much-loved car of thirteen years and the thought of it going to scrap makes me physically ill. Other than engine the heat does not work (AC is fine) nor does the CD player (radio works). Have not had them repaired due to cost but I imagine both could be fixed. Some other minor cosmetic issues in interior and exterior on the level of worn upholstery, stains, etc.

Wanted to see if anyone more skilled in auto repair than I am would be interested. I would let it go for in the realm of $500, very negotiable. I am most interested in it going to someone who wants to fix it up and enjoy it. If you want to give it a good home and are willing to come get it, I bet we can make a deal. Would considering selling for parts, but you would need to take the whole car as taking it apart is well beyond me (and I would prefer it to be someone's project car versus cannibalized).

Ridiculous long shot, I know, but I figured a fan forum for folks who love beetles as much as I do would be the place to go, if any.

If you are interested let me know and I will post pictures, any specifics, etc. And if anyone wants to console a broken-hearted owner, I am up for that too. Teared up too many times writing this. Hope someone can give him the home he deserves.

(New here and probably won't stick around -- except to check this thread and PMs obviously -- because to be honest it hurts too much, but I apologize if I broke any rules due to my ignorance, etc.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tdi beetle

I might be intrested..Can you send me pics and and detailed info to [email protected]..

I live about 4 hrs away in western n.c., I have 6 beetles, but might be intrested in adding another tdi.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ryan, thanks so much for considering. It is at the mechanic right now but I will send pics as soon as I can get them. Hopefully Monday. In the meantime, want to help me convince my husband that we should totally replace with another beetle? ;)

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
I recently bought my 6th Beetle. It's a 2013 TDI. You may be able to find a pre-owned one like I did. It "called out" to me, as have most of the others.

You sound like you'd not be happy in anything else. I totally understand.

Best of luck to you. I hope you find a new love!:)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
What happened to it? Timing belt failure?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey folks, update:

My mechanic offered to buy it for parts, which I think I am okay with. It can at least be used to help other cars versus getting crushed entirely. I will post what they told me about the damage in case anyone is still interested:

"There is some damage to the bearings and the oil splash shield in the oil pan is melted.

The engine has to come out and possibly be rebuilt (depends on the extent of damage), or we need to replace the engine longblock.

Here are a few options.

Rebuild engine, depends on condition of components, may not be feasible $3870
Replace engine with new one from dealership $6010

We can install a used engine, but I am a little reluctant. Installation would be around $2100, and the price of the engine (depending on availability) varies."

Either way it is a really costly fix, so I don't want to misrepresent things here. The car has been used heavily for thirteen years and looks it. You could definitely get a better quality beetle for less than you'd spend fixing it. I am thinking the best option is to let the mechanic have it, but if anyone feels differently feel free to let me know. You can get in touch with me quicker at [email protected]

I've been through an emotional rollercoaster this week but I think I'm at peace with things now. Also finalizing purchase of a new beetle :)D) on Tuesday, so that helps things a bit. She is a green 2009 2.5L. I may stick around here after all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Photos. Tried to accurately represent cosmetic damage (although again, the main issue is the engine, see previous posts) but feel free to ask if you have questions. Yellow crap is pollen; business sticker on the back is magnetic and would be removed. He is going to the mechanic for parts on Monday if there are no takers, so please respond soon if you are interested. Would love to get $500 plus the cost of shipping, but I am flexible. I would much rather someone have it who would actually want it than parts, so make me an offer.

Name is Precious by the way. As in the One Ring.

[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another update: Will most likely not be selling to mechanic for parts, and definitely not on Monday. Have thought about it more and just can't bring myself to do it. Husband has pointed out how upset I am and thinks it is worth trying to sell the whole car. So this will remain available for a bit longer if anyone is interested. I would love it if you could spread the word. Thanks, forum, for the consolations.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Hey, you might post a similar classified ad; on your local craigslist, vwvortex and tdiclub.com, to get more eyeballs on the car. There is bound; to be a TDI freak out there, who love to fix it up! Good luck with the sale and I hope, it finds a good home! :)

https://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

New Beetle Cars

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, you might post a similar classified ad; on your local craigslist, vwvortex and tdiclub.com, to get more eyeballs on the car. There is bound; to be a TDI freak out there, who love to fix it up! Good luck with the sale and I hope, it finds a good home! :)

https://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

New Beetle Cars
Thank you, have joined and am awaiting mods to activate. Was intimidated by TDI Club but they seem like the kind of folk who might see value in ol' Precious. I did post on CL and have received a pretty good response so far, which gives me hope.

Can't sleep, bless this forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey folks, just wanted to update since I think a few people were invested in this post. Precious found I great new home today. Mechanic who is going to fix him for his niece. I am still sad, but he is going to live again.

Bye, Precious. Thank you for all the memories and here's to making new ones.

Thank you all for your helpful advice. If welcome here would like to stick around to tell you about Clementine, the new beetle of the house.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts