NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bigger on the Inside
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I've had my girl Hermione going on 8 years this July. It's been forever since I've posted here (oh, you know; life, the universe, and everything).

Two weeks ago my driver's side interior door handle popped out of its socket. My husband, Joe, popped it back in but it's not secure. I have to pull the door shut by the window sill or carefully by the bottom of the handle.

Now the glove box has decided to give way. Joe fixed the handle about a year ago with epoxy. Today he went looking for napkins and the entire latch system crapped the bed. As he was taking it apart to fix it pieces of plastic just broke off. Even the interior of the box is flaking off like black dandruff.

On the drivers side seat track there's a nice chunk of plastic, gone. I have no idea where it went.

So...has anyone had any success finding an inexpensive glove box assembly? I might have to suck it up and not have the nifty billeted steel handle. From what I've found the entire thing is $630.40 from VA, $473.55 from vwparts2go.com.

I really love my girl but dang, this is grrrr'ing!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
plastic going bad

yea welcome to the new beetle junk or the way VW corp. can make more money off of us. LOL :D Mine too is falling apart all the dash is peeling like you said, black dandruff. There is a diy around here on how to fix the glovebox door by breaking apart and then gluing it back together with eboxy....better than paying the 300plus for a plastic door which is gonna break again in the near future. what a poor quality for such an expensive vehicle.

·
Bigger on the Inside
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Esse, my poor gal's going to be held together with epoxy before I know it! The saving grace? At least she's paid for :).

Jensen, what holds me back from a used glovebox is the disintegration factor. If it's happening to mine it's happening to others. It'll be a band-aid fix.

Gah! Between this and my husband's Mustang needing $400.00 worth of work today (something with the rear axle), this isn't cool. At least I can limp along with a busted glovebox.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
All cars (not just beetles) over the age of 10 have plastic dry rot issues.

The "dandruff" is actually a rubberized coating over the outside parts. It can be removed with some cleaning effort.

What I do is get replacement parts from the salvage yard; my last glove box door cost me $10 I could have gotten the whole box for $25. Oddly enough I have seen some parts not cracked or peeling. I always walk out of the salvage yard with at least two Wal-Mart bags full of various plastic parts, lenses and I have yet to spend more than $100, including taxes.

The door handles are an entirely different issue; I plan on keeping my NB's for a while longer and I choose to do this ...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
front dash

All cars (not just beetles) over the age of 10 have plastic dry rot issues.

The "dandruff" is actually a rubberized coating over the outside parts. It can be removed with some cleaning effort.

What I do is get replacement parts from the salvage yard; my last glove box door cost me $10 I could have gotten the whole box for $25. Oddly enough I have seen some parts not cracked or peeling. I always walk out of the salvage yard with at least two Wal-Mart bags full of various plastic parts, lenses and I have yet to spend more than $100, including taxes.

The door handles are an entirely different issue; I plan on keeping my NB's for a while longer and I choose to do this ...
Do you know up to what year model of new beetle are the front dash compatible ? I mean like removing the front dash from a 2006 year car and put into my 2003, the big question is will it fit??? I ain't buying it from the Stealer that's for sure, I rather eat dirt first :p before I go pay stealer high prices.:D

·
5,639 Posts
Do you know up to what year model of new beetle are the front dash compatible ? I mean like removing the front dash from a 2006 year car and put into my 2003, the big question is will it fit??? I ain't buying it from the Stealer that's for sure, I rather eat dirt first :p before I go pay stealer high prices.:D
The best interior parts compatibility is from 1998 thru 2005. I have not owned or worked on any NB's beyond 2005.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I have a question:

Has anybody ever removed this coating WITHOUT removing the dash pieces? For a mechanical idiot like myself, that looks way too complicated, and the dealership would charge about a grand in labor alone to R&R a scuffed dash. If the bare plastic underneath is still black, I wouldn't paint it, anyway, so can this shortcut be taken?

·
5,639 Posts
I have a question:

Has anybody ever removed this coating WITHOUT removing the dash pieces? For a mechanical idiot like myself, that looks way too complicated, and the dealership would charge about a grand in labor alone to R&R a scuffed dash. If the bare plastic underneath is still black, I wouldn't paint it, anyway, so can this shortcut be taken?
To do it right the dash parts need to be removed; however you can clean the rubber coating off the visible surfaces without removing any dash pieces.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I don't care about parts that can't be seen.

I did experiment with this in a very small area on my daughter's 2000 with a sanding sponge, and I indeed got rid of that coating, but I fear that the sponge was too harsh because the bare black plastic beneath is also now scratched....Unless wet-sanding will bring it back? :confused:

I just wrote a very long post about this issue, but won't submit it yet until I hear more about this........

·
5,639 Posts
I don't care about parts that can't be seen.

I did experiment with this in a very small area on my daughter's 2000 with a sanding sponge, and I indeed got rid of that coating, but I fear that the sponge was too harsh because the bare black plastic beneath is also now scratched....Unless wet-sanding will bring it back? :confused:

I just wrote a very long post about this issue, but won't submit it yet until I hear more about this........
Any abrasive method will remove the rubber coating; however the underlying plastic will get scratched.

It has been some time ago, but I do remember reading a thread where some type of cleaner was used and the rubber was removed without marring the plastic underneath. I did search, but did not find that thread; of course if you are just looking for a quick fix, you could use acetone; however I do not recommend it, because acetone will deform plastic if improperly used and not cleaned off in a timely manner.

Do a search for "Coating" in the "Styling & Modifications" Forum and many threads will pop up; these owners disassembled, sanded and repainted their plastic pieces and their results were nice! :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts