VW Beetle Forum banner

2003 Turbo s radio not working

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  snorkel68 
#1 ·
I picked up my turbo s about 2 weeks ago and ive been fixing all that I can find wrong with it. The radio doesn't work so I took it out and checked the fuse and it was good, but I replaced it anyways. There were also only 2 longer connectors plugged into the head unit, but I saw 2 sets of smaller green and blue connectors on the harness that weren't connected to anything. I then plugged it back in like it was and it came on with the power switch and volume worked, but nothing else worked not even the screen and sometimes the power didn't even come on. Also when the headlight switch is on and all the interior lights like the instrument panel are on.... the radio only lights up around the power switch knob. I was wondering if those green and blue connectors have anything to do with it not working or not..... I'm not sure , but any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
Well, your radio could be defective; you might post photos of the plugs/harness on the back of the radio and members here, can confirm, you have the plugs hooked up correctly. Thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
The black one was plugged into the top one (top being closest to the fuse) and the brown one was plugged into the one under that. both sets of blue and green connectors were not connected, but they do fit in the bottom slot. I tried them both out but it still didn't work so I hooked it back up like it was before. I found that if I pull the fuse for about 10-15 seconds then the radio will come on the first couple times you push the power button but after the 3-4th time it won't work again unless you pull the fuse and leave it out for 10-15 seconds again. When it does come on the only thing that works is still the volume and power button not even the screenand you just hear static, although when I was in another city it did the same thing but I could hear a radio station so I'm thinking atleast the fm reciever works .Like I said before when the interior lights come on the only ones that work are the lights surrounding the volume button.

Attachments

#4 ·
The Monsoon in my 2002 Turbo S doesn't get reception, and if you saw the antenna, you'd know why. It looks like it has Bondo on the base. Pretty sure it would work if I had a good antenna.

#5 ·
I had to replace my antenna base; on my 2002 turbo s, the base is amplified, has a small circuit board inside it and water ingress, tends to wipe it out and replacement, is the fix for that.

#7 ·
My 2005 Convertible was used to back into a pickup with a beefy bumper(not by me), and when the bumper was replaced I got it back and the radio reception is poor, you have to be close to the station antenna to pick its up. The antenna is in the windshield I believe. Is there a booster for the antenna on this year? If so is there a fuse that could have blown? The brake lights were also both blown and the sockets melted after I got it back(not sure if they were prior to the incident). Any direction would help. I found no blown fuses on the fuse panel by the steering wheel( did not check each mini fuse). Thanks for any help

#8 ·
You might try the “FERN” test and confirm the antennae is working and connected.

#9 ·
I texted the step daughter who had the Bug when the trunk damage occurred. She also walked into the windshield with her ladder and had the windshield replaced. She took it in today and they forgot to connect the antenna to the windshield. Mystery solved. Thanks for the help, I had forgotten about the new windshield until my neighbor lady asked if the antenna was hooked to the windshield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.