VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I have a problem with my beetle when turning on. I turns over and engine runs for 2 seconds and then cuts off by itself. Did a scan with OBDII and it gave 2 errors:
-18057 CAN, engine/ABS communication; missing message
-Intermittent

-17978 Engine control unit blocked
-Permanent

It has had a problem with wiring for about 2months now. When driving for more than an hour straight and after locking the car, all left side turn signals stay on and i have to lock the car multiple times for them to shut off. I have also noticed that when I let it cool down the signals shut off as well when i click the key again, so it might be a module or smth getting hot?

As well as ABS is not working properly, tested the brakes on snow and they just locked and ABS did not kick in.
Red oil light as well but OBDII did not say that oil pressure was bad or anything.

Relatively new to VWs so any insight is welcome and what I can do to fix it.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Where to start.

1. Oil light, STOP driving it, until you determine if it is a flakey sensor or an actual oil pressure problem. OBD will tell you nothing about oil pressure. Hook a mechanical gauge to the engine block and verify that you have oil pressure, if you do, change out the oil pressure sensor and/or inspect the wiring.

2. Doors. Your drivers door lock module is the likely culprit. Change it out for a new one.

3 ABS , likely a wheel speed sensor, you'll need to hook up VCDS or equivalent to be sure otherwise there are four of them and some other things also that can cause an ABS light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where to start.

1. Oil light, STOP driving it, until you determine if it is a flakey sensor or an actual oil pressure problem. OBD will tell you nothing about oil pressure. Hook a mechanical gauge to the engine block and verify that you have oil pressure, if you do, change out the oil pressure sensor and/or inspect the wiring.

2. Doors. Your drivers door lock module is the likely culprit. Change it out for a new one.

3 ABS , likely a wheel speed sensor, you'll need to hook up VCDS or equivalent to be sure otherwise there are four of them and some other things also that can cause an ABS light.
Thank you for the response I will try all the things you suggested and get back to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.