NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was teaching my teen age daughter to drive my manual 2003 beetle with 200,000 miles on it. she was doing good until she was driving in second too long and at too high rpm so i reminded her to shift to 3rd. she accidentally downshifted to 1st which caused the car to stop abruptly and die. tried to restart it, but it won't. the engine turns over but it has a different sound.... like it isn't firing or getting fuel????? plan to take it to my mechanic tomorrow. any ideas out there?

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

What engine do you have! When was the last timing belt service done? Could be a belt slip or broken.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx 02 silversport. you are pretty much on point. mechanic found that the force to the engine caused by the sudden downshifting caused the engine to tear away from 2 of the 3 motor supports , breaking one bolt and breaking the motor housing on the other. since the entire engine lunged forward, the timing belt pulley lodged against the top motor support bracket which would not allow the engine to turn over properly. tomorrow we'll know if a new timing belt and related parts does the trick or if there is addl damages to the vaules. smh. 1st post and i already love this forum! thx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts