VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Started refreshing suspension today starting with rear shocks. Never have done before but so far so good. Already made a big difference.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am a moron. I only registered what a strut spreader tool was and how it worked AFTER I about killed myself getting the right side strut out. Left should be much easier.

Registered
That strut spreader is worth its weight in gold. I have the metalnerd version but I have also since made myself a somewhat larger one out of a 16mm bolt, grinding the tip into an oval. I found it works better when you鈥檙e dealing with a steering knuckle that鈥檚 been spread a few times.

Registered
Those top rear shock mounts will wear. There is a rubber bushing in them that wears out over time. My daughters beetle came from Arizona, when she first got that car I found nearly every rubber bushing underneath it needed replacement. Of course it was an 01, but I think perhaps the intense heat played a part in that in addition to age.

She had an awful clunk coming from the drivers rear. It sounded like something loose inside the trim panels. I had her drive it while I attempted to locate that clunk laying inside the back with the seats down. No luck, I finally traced it to the top rear drivers side shock mount. The rubber inside was almost gone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts