NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2004 1.8t convertible Beetle. We have had problems in the past with the low oil pressure light coming on. After reading several posts I saw where the pickup screen can sometimes get clogged. We were able to have the oil changed which made the light go off. The light comes on right before you get to 3000 miles on the oil change. This time when it happened; she had the oil changed but this did not solve the problem. It started making a lot of noise in the top end of the engine. We had it towed to the shop and they changed out the oil pump. When we picked dup the car the top end rattle was gone and the car ran great. After about 5 or 6 miles the light came on again; but there is no top end rattle. After the car sat for about an hour; tried to get it the rest of the way home. Again, no light for about 5-6 miles. It comes on as soon as you hit 1500RPM.Any info would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Welcome to the org. This is a great place full of wonderful people with a wealth of information to share. I'm sure they will start chiming in when they see this.

I know I for one would love to see pics of your darling baby even if it is being a brat.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the best place to learn about the beetle. Hope to see more from you around here!

I'd take it back to the dealer and get them to take another look. Might be an issue with the part they replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Is it the red thermometer temperature/pressure light or do '04s have an actual pressure light? My red temp light was coming on when I first got mine and it was one of the fans that wasn't working. Those were replaced because they had already gotten the part but it turned out to be the regulator for the fans that was bad so they replaced that too. No more light since. It's winter now so you won't see it, but the clue that it was fan related was that the AC was blowing warm when standing still but cold when moving.

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
I don't know if its the same on the turbo but the oil light on the dash means low oil. There is a sensor in the bottom of the sump.

Tbh this is really bad news in a turbo. If the turbo itself suffers from oil starvation then it will fail and you're looking at a nice bill.
All vw engines are known to use a bit of oil so the only thing I can suggest is to keep an eye on the oil levels a bit more and check where you park for any sign of leaks.

Noise at the top end of the engine would normally mean that whatever oil has been used in the change is way too thin or they've used cheap stuff. Check what you're getting and make sure they use a good quality version. It makes a lot of difference with the turbos compared to the n/a engines.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I don't know if its the same on the turbo but the oil light on the dash means low oil. There is a sensor in the bottom of the sump.
Not true in the states. We don't have oil level sensors in the VWs here. The light is for oil pressure.

Has the pickup screen been cleaned? If you really do keep having low pressure that isn't good. The fact that you had top end noise isn't good either. How has the oil level been when all this happens?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a half quart low when she had it changed before replacing the oil pump. I checked with the mechanic and he said that he looked up the recommended weight of full synthetic oil to use when he replaced the pump. No top end noise or loss of performance after the pump change; just the annoying light and buzzer after driving about 5 miles.

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
Not true in the states. We don't have oil level sensors in the VWs here. The light is for oil pressure.

Has the pickup screen been cleaned? If you really do keep having low pressure that isn't good. The fact that you had top end noise isn't good either. How has the oil level been when all this happens?
Learn something new every day. :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
What oil is in the car?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts