VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
100% Texan 100% NBC Lover
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the Torx size for the Drain Plug. And no it is not a 19mm socket. It is a Torx....:confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
no longer use this site
1,594 Posts
it's a hex (allen) not a torx.

can't recall the size. it's big, like a 10 or 12.

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealership said it was a torx!!!!!!

Dumbasses

Thanks

·
no longer use this site
1,594 Posts
the torx' are on the skid plate / belly pan.

but the drain plug is def a hex.

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help. How do you feel about the oil extractors compared to draining.

I am going to change my oil for the first time and I am switching to mobile one 0W 40. do I need to flush the engine or not. I do not know what was in it before I bought it......

·
no longer use this site
1,594 Posts
i've never used an extractor because i do my oil changes on a lift so it's no biggie.

if you don't know what was in there i'd drain it, fill it with new filter, drive it for a few hindred miles and then do another change. it's overkill but that's what i would do.

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I don't do that, will it hurt the engine. I think it was a synthetic or at least a blend because the millage they put on the sticker was about 5k.

·
Returning senior member
285 Posts
Oil change...

Just draining the crankcase and re-filling it with Mobil 1, 0W40 will be fine. No need for a flush with oil or anything else. If you wanted to, a change interval of 2500 miles for the second oil change might rid the crankcase of the old oil sooner but it's certainly not absolutely necessary. The majority of the new oil will be Mobil 1 with just one change. JK

·
Registered
308 Posts
After I did this the first time and found out what a freakin hassle and mess it was trying to work around that brace, I picked up a Pela 650 extractor.

Works just fine.

I will probably pull the drain plug again a few changes down the road just to make sure everything's kosher, but if you're running a good synthetic (especially if you've had a flush) it should be no problem.

The oil filter still makes a mess though, been thinking about installing a relocator kit for it.

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got the oil changed......:eyecrazy::eyecrazy:

What a pain in the ass.

I think i will invest in an oil extractor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts