NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2004 for my daughter.Worked fine for 3 weeks. One morning battery was dead. charged and started.Next morning dead again.Towed to shop. No power to ecm or injectors.all fuses intact.Trying to find a control relay. vw says under hood.Cranks fine. Ideas?

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
First, have you scanned for trouble codes; that is always a good first step, to see if any are there. It is preferable to use a VW specific scan tool; like VCDS by Ross Tech but if you only have a generic OBD II scan tool, see what codes you find. Has the charging system been fully checked and repaired? Obviously, the battery going dead; every day, is not normal. These cars will go goofy and the immobilizer system, can kick on, if the charging system is low or not working as it should.

Give us more info; about what the repair shop did and what the situation is, what repairs they completed.

A common no start and problem with no power to various parts of the car, is a bad fuel pump relay. This will throw a bunch of trouble codes; as the FPR, provides power to the injectors, many other crucial fuel related control parts. If you buy a new one, stick ONLY with a oem Stribel or genuine VW relay (Stribel, is the oem for VW; the genuine VW part will be marked with the Stribel brand). Aftermarket fuel pump relays; have given people all kinds of problems and many won't work correctly.

The fuel pump relay is marked (409) and located under the dash, you will need to remove the plastic panel, to access it.

Here is the location:
#4 Fuel Pump (FP) Relay (409) (#4 from the top left row)

here are basic testing procedures; for the fuel injectors,

testing for ecm; power checking:

So, give us more background info on the car, repairs done, any testing you have performed and any trouble codes you find, we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a call. was informed radio fuse had failed.replaced fuse car starts and runs fine. I was a diesel tech for an International dealership for 30 years.I saw a lot of weird electrical issues.I am not doubting them it works now but I think its masking the real issue. I don't want to burn time if it runs now chasing a ghost. A tech for Cat told me in cases like this you have to use the "advanced troubleshooting method"I asked what is that.He replied start changing parts. I know the symptom will return at a bad time for my 18 year old daughter. The draw leads me to suspect a stuck relay.Any thoughts?

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
Basics, did you scan for trouble codes? A bad fuel pump relay; will throw a bunch of "shirt to ground" codes; including the power to the fuel injectors, resulting in a no start condition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got the car back.starts and runs good.check eng light came on for engine coolant performance. I checked coolant level and added a little. code has not returned yet. can you help me find a part number for coolant level sensor?The coolant temp sensor was replaced recently. I have had trouble with the coolant level before. only slightly down sensor blips.also as long as I have you here what is the main source of wet carpets?plugged drain tubes for sunroof? thank you so much for your help in previous reply. the fuel pump relay was replaced with non oem. I insisted they get one from vw.As a former tech for International Trucks I am sensitive to taking vehicles to a dealership.I have had previous dealings with local dealership and don't trust the vw dealership.

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
The no start issue with the non oem/aftermarket fuel pump relays; have a long history of problems around here, was that the injector issue fix?

Coolant issue: please post the trouble code; then, we can look up the code and discuss possible solutions.

Wet carpet could be water or coolant; clogged roof drains are common and then, there is the heater core, if coolant is leaking.

VW dealership service dept's; can be hit or miss. I haven't had very good results with any VW dealer service dept's I have worked with but I'm sure there are some good ones out there, I primarily used them with issues that were under warranty or recalls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts