NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the timing belt service completed on the 2004 New Beetle, BEV, today @70k miles. Parts: $170 Labor: $350

If anyone is curious, this is what was found:

- Water pump was leaking at shaft. Plastic impeller looked new. :rolleyes: I'm glad we changed it. It was made in Mexico.

- Timing belt teeth looked new, except one tooth was showing a few "threads". Smooth side of timing belt had rubbed off most of the writing. No cracks anywhere. It was made in the USA.

- Thermostat - On its way out, CEL on, P2181.

- Serpentine belt - still in grade A condition.

- Cam seal - not leaking.

Given the state of the water pump, I'm glad I made the decision to get the service completed.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
made it mexico

Ya gonnna find out that most of these beetles were completely assembled in MEXICO. Glad u got yours running good, good luck and welcome to newbeetle.org:bigthumb:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Ya gonnna find out that most of these beetles were completely assembled in MEXICO. Glad u got yours running good, good luck and welcome to newbeetle.org:bigthumb:
Most? All New Beetles were made in Mexico. As are most Jettas, some Golfs, etc. Being made in Mexico has nothing to do with the quality of the car.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had the timing belt service completed on the 2004 New Beetle, BEV, today @70k miles. Parts: $170 Labor: $350

If anyone is curious, this is what was found:

- Water pump was leaking at shaft. Plastic impeller looked new. :rolleyes: I'm glad we changed it. It was made in Mexico.

- Timing belt teeth looked new, except one tooth was showing a few "threads". Smooth side of timing belt had rubbed off most of the writing. No cracks anywhere. It was made in the USA.

- Thermostat - On its way out, CEL on, P2181.

- Serpentine belt - still in grade A condition.

- Cam seal - not leaking.

Given the state of the water pump, I'm glad I made the decision to get the service completed.

:D:D:D
Congratulations on your good deal!

Is it the first time for your beetle's timing belt change since new???:rolleyes:
Most likely, it is, I guess from its mileage. Just to be confirmed.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Perhaps the words "Hecho in Mexico" don't have any bearing on the quality of the car, but I can tell you that for old school VW folks (myself included) we love seeing the metal plate inside the bonnet than reads "Wolfsburg" with all the numbers, like on my '65 VW Squareback S. Nothing like that good German engineering AND production. If that weren't true, people wouldn't want to buy German made parts. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quite a few parts are not actually made in German but still come as VW branded and I trust you took your mexican built car to germany to have your american parts fitted ? :)

Perhaps the words "Hecho in Mexico" don't have any bearing on the quality of the car, but I can tell you that for old school VW folks (myself included) we love seeing the metal plate inside the bonnet than reads "Wolfsburg" with all the numbers, like on my '65 VW Squareback S. Nothing like that good German engineering AND production. If that weren't true, people wouldn't want to buy German made parts. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was a one-man independent shop, $70/hour, ~5 hours of labor. He's a great mechanic, one of the best I've met, so I feel very fortunate.

Regarding country of origin, I mentioned that because I was surprised to have the USA belt and Mexico pump. Except the water pump, all parts that have failed on the car have been Made in Germany or Austria! :)

The reason I did the service was age (original belt @ 9 years), the coolant code, and fear of impeller grenading.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts