VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently did an oil change , replacing the oil filter and the air filter. I even tried Bar’s Leak Head Gasket Sealant to try to repair my engine. At this point the oil light flickers when idling and reviving when going above 2,000
Rpm.

Help please!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,349 Posts
Why did you use the Bar's sealant? Did you put it in with the oil?

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
I would start with a full scan for trouble codes and then, a traditional oil pressure test. What is the history of the car, was it over heating and did you suspect a bad head gasket failure, thus the bars leak? If that is the case, a compression and a combustion leak test, would be a good start for your baseline troubleshooting process. Needless to say; if you have major engine damage; "repairs in a can" like bars leak, cannot repair damage, that has already taken place. Testing and evaluating the engine for damage, would be the first thing to do, after assessing the damage, then decide what to do next.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Bars leak is a band aid for and arterial bleed. At best it may slow the leak at worst it gums up other engine parts. What are your cars symptoms that you used the Barr’s? Milky oil? Smokey exhaust? Overheating? An oil light can be caused by a faulty sensor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts