NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post. When the driver door is opened the window drops ½” to clear the convertible top, but then continues all the way down. After this the driver window-up controls will not function for various amounts of time (usually greater than 30 minutes). Once the window-up function returns and the window is raised all the way to the top, the window can be lowered with the switch all at once or incrementally, but the window-up function stops working, and opening the door will drop the window all the way down again. Removed the door panel, reconnected all the switches, then disabled the window switches one at a time with the thought that the switch was stuck in the window-down position, but had the same results. Tried to reset the memory by raising and lowering all the windows through three cycles (tried both interior door switch and outside key lock methods), but the driver window will not go up. I’ve read that earlier models had issues with the door latching mechanism, but have not seen similar issues with the 2004 model. Not sure of the complications in removing the inner door panel, so have not done this yet. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Sounds like a very unusual and weird problem.

Almost sounds like a bad window motor/controller?

I have a 2003 convertible and have had EVERY problem known to man with the windows and door latches. Currently on door latch #5 & #6.

2003 was the first year for the convertible and it was not until 2005 that a lot of the window issues were sorted out.

Never had a problem with the window fully dropping upon opening the door.

Although the door latch may or may not be an issue, I do not think the door latch is your issue here, I think it is the window controller, which I think??? is integrated into the window motor?

Some others may have some comments, but this is my take from first hand ownership of a 2003 convertible from 2 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The Door Control Module (J386) does have the power window motor with it.

A door latch isn't going to cause the window to roll all the way down, or prevent it from rolling up. Odds are the J386 itself is the issue, but make sure you don't have a screwy switch pack or wiring harness issue.

Now the real fun part... there can be different "color codes" for the J386s. While the stickers slapped on them can show the same part number over and over, an unlisted bit of info is the color code and this more or less refers to the type of firmware that in within the module. I couldn't tell you what is different between on version of firmware to the next, but you can't always mix and match these things.

So if you do go hunting down a used J386, be aware that just because they look the same (and they all will), they may not be the same. The car won't burn to the ground, but other odd ball issues may happen... battery drain for example.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removed the window motor, disassembled the module and did a visual check of the module circuit board – did not see any broken connections or burn outs. Reassembled the module and reinstalled in the door (without motor). Operated the switch and checked for power (at the contacts for the motor) with a test light. Have power at the contacts for window down, but no power for window up. Also heard a click from the module when the switch was operated both up or down (not always for window up).

With regard to different "color codes" for the J386s, is this identified somewhere? The sticker is flaking in different areas and numbers/letters are missing. There are some markings on the circuit board. Also, what is the correct name for this module (window control, door control, comfort module)?

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
I had a visual in reading this post of the engineers pointing and laughing. Did they do this to us on purpose? And then outsource manufacturing to divert the anger and frustration we'd experience? :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts