NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car failed emissions for no communication at lane. Came across earlier thread concerning same issue, but no resolution that I could find and was wondering if anyone knew how it was resolved. Everything works on car fine except CEL and AIRBAG light is on. Cannot get any communication with scanner and have removed all modules from K-line and left IPC and engine controller plugged in with same results. Any ideas or does anyone remember what the other member(Jarrod12)? did to correct problem? Thanks in advance for any and all responses, PJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your tip, however, the radio is stock and the K-line wire to the radio was already cut.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,095 Posts
With a stock radio you may need the K-line hooked up. The K-line issue is with aftermarket units.

·
1,255 Posts
Not sure what type of scanner you are using. I have tried the $10 scanners off eBay and have always had issues with USB converter software and com port linking. This may be your problem. I owned a Ross-Tech for a short time and it worked like a champ. And thinking of buying another Ross-Tech, once the wife says I can spend the money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Mastertech which I've used on other VWs for doing emissions without problems. I also tried a Snap-ON Modis with European software and still couldn't communicate. I did an 02 Passat without issue Friday and measured the voltage of Pin 7, the K line and grounded my scope lead and got the following: Key Off 5.4 volts, Key On 9.3 volts. I only get 160mv with this Beetle, but when I open the K line at the IPC and read the end coming from the IPC I get 11.8 volts and it then will drop to the .16 volt I mentioned earlier when I connect back to the K lines other end. Same thing when i do it at the radio's K line: 11.8 volts from pin 3 and it drops to .16 volts when I reconnect the K line wire.

For anyone reading this, if the they wouldn't mind checking there voltage at the DLC between pins 7 and 4 or 5(both are grounds) and get back to me or post it. Thanks, PJ

·
ElectricHarleyHouseOfLove
1,751 Posts
I did the voltage test outlined in the Ross-Tech .pdf last week. I have an aftermarket stereo, so I'm not sure if my results will help you.

I was 99.9% sure the k-line wasn't hooked up but decided to test it at the obd-II port anyways.

For what it's worth, my Pin 4-7 test came back with 10.5v. when I added the resistor because the result was over 9v, I got 0.65v.

I can check a car with a stock radio after 5pm if you want those results.

--

oh, and can you connect to any of the other modules in the car with the scan tools you have? with the problem i was trying to fix, I could connect to everything but the ECU and Cluster. (My problem turned out to be some broken wires in the Cluster harness.)

·
1,255 Posts
Keep in mind, the k-line is used in many other control modules. The radio in the most consumer caused issue with the k-line.

·
ElectricHarleyHouseOfLove
1,751 Posts
Keep in mind, the k-line is used in many other control modules. The radio in the most consumer caused issue with the k-line.
:thup:

I can check a car with a stock radio after 5pm if you want those results.
okay. earlier than expected. results were pretty similar. 9.65v and 0.69v with resistor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts