NewBeetle.org Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my 16 year old daughter her dream car. 2004 Beetle convertible. Everything worked on the car untill the battery went dead. Now the top does not function. Does anyone know how to reset the computer, or do I have other problems. Any advise is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Welcome to the Org and congrats on the new Bug! Tell her to sign her butt up on here, lots of good ppl and they all love pics! She's younger than most, but we all have one thing in common... We all love our Beetles!

As to your question, there is a reset with the window switch. I have an '05, but I'll pull out the "04 NBC manual and have a look for differences. In the meantime, someone else may pop up with the answer, it's a good time of day to get on the board.

By the way, if it's missing the Owner's Manual, I have one. $40 shipped, I also have boots for the tops and windstops. Also, conveniently missing in most Verts, even though they came with them. Ppl sell the cars, and then the accessories on eBay!

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Window & Top Reset Instructions!

In follow-up, I have scanned, and attached in .pdf form the applicable pages of the Owners Manual. You have at least resets to do on both the power windows and the convertible top. There may even be others through the manual, but I'm not going to read it cover to cover. I have made several notes, pointing to the resets and others.

One problem, I see again and again, with new Vert owner's is not being able to get the top all the way down, until the indicator up above the rearview mirror stops flashing. Unlike any sound you have heard in a "normal" car that causes you to think the top is all the way now in the Bug, it's not. Continue to hold the button through the "grinding" sound, after you think it is done. Don't listen to the motor running, watch the indicator. It will "pop" into place and the flashing indicator will return to the temp function.

If you don't have a manual, get one, somewhere! There are many things within that you NEED to know. I'll also attach the standard "Service Schedule" so you can see what should have already been done, and what needs to be done, and when. Folow it! Including the inspections of otherwise not maintenance items.

Hope this helps!

MORAV

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
I once copied this from another Org member for personal reference...I keep a copy in my glove compartment.

Try the following:

Make sure all four windows are all the way up before you do this. If they're down right now, turn on your engine, put them all the way up, and turn the engine off.

Go get your favorite beverage, and return to the car. Get in your car. Close door. Turn on the engine. Use the Master Switch (all four windows at once) and put the windows all the way down. Wait a second or two. Then put them all the way up. Turn off engine.

Turn on engine, roll your windows all the way down with Master Switch again... release the top, and drop it with the open/close top switch. Should work.

That's the reset procedure anytime your top fails to drop. Try it!
Gotta love the basic settings!

·
Stacey
1 Posts
Frustrated with my Top

My 04 went to the shop to have a clutch and starter replaced (at $2100.00). When I got the car back, the top won't go down. The motor makes a sound, but nothing happens. Then the indicator at the top of the windshield flashes. I used the reset several times (which has worked in the past), but this time it didn't work. Very frustrated. :mad: The mechanic is 100 miles away and I will have to take off a day of work just to have them take a look at it. I would like to be able to fix this myself. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Just bought my 16 year old daughter her dream car. 2004 Beetle convertible. Everything worked on the car untill the battery went dead. Now the top does not function. Does anyone know how to reset the computer, or do I have other problems. Any advise is appreciated.
Welcome to the .org! Hope to see more of you and your daughters car around here...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks so much for the advice. I had replaced to get driver door window motor and lost the convertible top function. Did the reset and it worked perfectly. Gotta love the easy ones

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.