VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 2004 Beetle for my daughter and now we are having problems with the top going down all the way.

It goes 85% of the way and the light by the rearview mirror starts blinking and then the top stops.

We can't get it to work for a few minutes but when it does only to go closed again.

Any ideas where I could start to fix this thing..??

Thanks so much in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Billy, I tried that yesterday after doing some searching before posting.

I just tried it again and it went a little further it seems but stuck once again. Here's a pic of where it is stuck @:

I believe the owners manual says there is a circuit breaker that trips. So I'm stuck in wait mode again. That function would stink if it was raining...?

It seems this is a common problem but no thread seemed to follow thru with what fixed it.

Any other ideas....?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Do you have a vw compatible scan tool? It seems; that it is common, for some of the microswitches in the convertible top to fail and cause things to not work correctly. It would be a good idea to see if there are any trouble codes; related to the convertible top system.

If you have access to VCDS by Ross Tech; you could diagnose things, in a very detailed manner, to see what is going on. The video; towards the end, shows a way to bypass the switches and that way, you can close the top by hand.

VW Beetle (1Y) Roof Electronics - Ross-Tech Wiki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWTrK8-BxpM

http://www.ross-tech.com/index.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Bill, you are the man....!!

I do have access to a scan tool. My buddy has the new Snap-on Solus Edge.

I will report back after doing some HW. :D

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I don't know; if the Snap On Solus Edge diagnostic system; has the ability to read and do output tests, measuring blocks; for the convertible top controllers/switches, for Volkswagens. Give it a shot; otherwise, VCDS is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The Solus Edge definitely does not do anything in regards to the convertible top. And darn the Ross kit is $699. So after watching the youtube video, if I were going to be a parts changer how can one go about locating where the F171 switch is...?

Edit: Found this in the comments on the Ross youtube video.

RossTechVCDS: The F171 is snapped onto the right side hydraulic ram. You will need to remove the rear seat and right rear interior trim panel to access the F171 for replacement.

Also found this in another thread: F171 Part # = 1YO 959 985 A

I'm going to give the local dealer a call to see how much this switch costs.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, the Ross Tech VCDS cable/software kits; are $250 to $350, depending on which one you buy. The KII-USB kit: limits your coverage up to 2005; while the hex usb plus can; covers all cars up to current models. These are USA dollars; where do you live?

VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN Unlimted VIN (All VAG) $349.00

VCDS License with KII-USB Unlimited VIN (VW to ~'05; Audi to ~'03) $249.00

Ross-Tech Store: VCDS

This thread should help; relating to the switch and replacement info:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-bee...have-my-fault-codes-need-help.html#post741968

The switch; seems to be listed in the $60-$70 range: 1YO 959 985 A

https://www.google.com/search?q=1Y0...i57j69i60l2&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8

I would somehow; get access, to a vw scanner, that way you can read the trouble codes and that would help direct you, where to troubleshoot and what parts are failing. The other way; would be to just replace parts, until you find the problem (aka: "throwing parts at the problem"), which could get expensive.

There are other scan tools; that are vw compatible but they are just code readers $20-$50 range (e.g. vs450), there are others that are around $70 to $200 (e.g. foxwell nt500), which MAY be able to read the output/reader blocks for the top but I do not know for sure, as I have not used them. Ultimately, the ROSS TECH VCDS, is a tried and true scan tool with excellent support, highly recommended and I have not regretted purchasing it, it has saved me thousands of dollars in repairs. If you do decide to keep your car; it is really worth it, for fixing things yourself and their resale value is very good, if you sell your vw and not longer need it in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...g+scan+tool&rh=i:aps,k:vw+vag+scan+tool&ajr=0

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks Billy for all the links. They really are helping so much...!! I am located in NY Long Island and my buddy knows someone local with the Ross Tech system. They are a few towns away and I still have the transmission banging gears to sort out. I figure I will do what I can in that dept as well before I drive it over.

In this link you posted

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/new-member-forum/new-beet...tml#post741968

volks_r_us says this: The F202 can be easily check with a multimeter. Big chances are that it will be just fine.

I'd like to start here since this will just cost me my time. Any idea where this part is located...??

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I am assuming; based upon the year you have a 01M auto transaxle; these are problematic and known for worn valve body issues. Kansas City TDI offers a rebuild service and has tech information, about the issues that plague these particular transmissions. You might contact him; see what he has to say about your situation.

01M or 01P Valve Body Repair $390 Labor + solenoids | Kansas City TDI

O1M FAQ | Kansas City TDI

This is for a 2006 but here is the convertible top section; of the service manual:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle Convertible L5-2.5L (BPS) (2006) > Body and Frame > Roof and Associated Components > Convertible Top > Convertible Top Canvas > Component Information > Technical Service Bulletins > All Technical Service Bulle

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So after reading Kanas City's write up on the valve body, I decided to bring the bug to a local VW repair shop vs doing it myself. $1450 later she shifts beautiful. Before the fix, she would slam so hard on down shifts and slip so bad on up shifts. I'm guessing once everything really warmed up, a good 10 miles into a drive is when it would really start to happen. One major problem solved... A few more to go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brand new valve body was from Volkswagon. He told me it was the third version they have made for this year transmission. Part was listed on my receipt around $950 (don't have receipt on me atm to give exact #) + new filter, fluid and labor. Labor was only $350ish... That how to video from Kanas City scared me out of doing it myself w the harness removal and the sticking valves from over torquing.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Cool, well I am glad you got it fixed and saved yourself some money... versus, a full rebuild! Now, since you have a new valve body; be sure to service your transmission fluid/filter, so that it will last you as long as possible! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well not 100% w the transmission yet... After about 25 miles this morning (it's longest drive so far) the shifting stills worked really well however "ALL" the brackets lit up around the [P] [R] [N] [D] instead of telling me what gear I am in... And the tiptronic shift isn't working as well. :(

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Ugh, sorry to hear that; we have had some successes around here with rebuilt or new valve bodies; than, other have had deep internal issues. Hopefully, a scan and testing, live data in VCDS can pinpoint the problem? So, you have a 09G transmission or a 01M?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had the same symptoms with my 2003 6-speed, had a rebuilt transmission installed, on the drive home (13 miles) the PRNDS and CEL all lit up too, and 100 miles later the trans failed again. It was an electronics issue, so they put in another rebuild, and 20,000 miles later it's doing fine.
Hope this doesn't happen to you...get it checked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts