VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2004 New Beetle about 7 weeks ago now and the windows didn't roll down, nor did the trunk open. I was told by the salesman that it was just a fuse and they would take care of it. After 5 weeks of jump starts and hours sitting at mechanics. Well it turned out to not be a fuse and their mechanic has now taken two weeks replacing the window regulators but now he says they work fine until he shuts the car off and starts it again. Now he wants to tinker with the wiring for a couple weeks and see if it is a short somewhere. They refuse to take it to vw to have a diagnostic run on the car. I realize that it is my fault for believing a car salesman when he says a vehicle is mechanically sound instead of having it looked over myself. Now I am stuck and need to figure out what to do next. Has anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
This problem is NOT due to a "short" in the wiring. A short in the wiring will blow a fuse.

The window regulator were not likely the problem and I how they were not replaced as a novice can make a mess out of things.

The window and trunk problem may be related or they may be separate issues.

The first thing I would check/consider is the fuse box and wiring on top of the battery, this is a KNOWN problem area.

There is also something referred to as a comfort or convenience module located in the drivers door that controls most of the window behavior. This module can be interrogated for errors with a VW specific or higher end scan tool.

I even believe there is a $50 VW specific tool on Amazon that can read error in this module. But it is best to have a good tool that has bi-directional control that can actually manually operate the windows. Something like VCDS or maybe a higher end SnapOn or Autel tool would work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts