VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Zoomer
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I recently got a fixer upper 2004 convertible a few months ago now reaching 83k on the odometer. 2.0 with the 09G 6 speed automatic. I recently had the car looked at by a trusted mechanic and he said the car shifted fine for him and there are no trouble codes on my car as of this time. So this issue is that my car, when driven for while, say 30-40 minutes, it likes to over rev from 3-4 occasionally. It won’t happen all the time but it is becoming increasingly more frequent. Also the shift from 1 to 2 is always kind of harsh and my car makes a slight whining noise when accelerating. Most of the time, after the first two gears, my car shifts fine for a 16 year old car. I don’t know too much about this history of this car as far as major maintenance goes but I do know that the oil was maintained regularly at least. I do also love this car and am willing to spend money on it since it is in amazing condition for the age. Wondering if i just need a trans fluid change or a valve body or solenoids or what, any help would be appreciated! ☺

·
Registered
15,063 Posts
Well, the issues you are describing is/are typical of what we see of the 09G; lately, we are getting allot of new threads with similar characteristic shifting issues. The cause of shifting problems we see; normally narrow down to, wiring harness damage/connectivity failures, bad sensors, bad/faulty shifter selector assemblies, worn/sticking solenoids in the valve body and worst case scenarios, internal damage, that would require full disassembly, replacement of worn/damaged parts and essentially a rebuild. We have had success with many; getting a remanufactured valve body, which is reworked with engineering/parts improvements to address inherent weaknesses, with new internal/external wiring harnesses and that has been a solid fix for many on this site. However, each situation, CAN be different and there are no guarantees, just throwing parts at a problem will fix things. So, the challenge, is to do your best; to diagnose the problem intelligently and then, decide, what is the best strategy, to repair the problem.

The first step, would be a full auto scan with a vw factory level scan tool; like VCDS by Ross Tech, to see if there are any fault codes and view live data, to confirm, everything is working as it should. As to your mechanic, not everyone; has a scan tool, that can access the trans controller/computer and view live data and then, things may have not "acted up", when he drove it. VCDS by Ross Tech, is a $199 investment and then, there are other, that do not cost as much but VCDS is a proven, solid tool and it retains its value, you can sell it used later for close to what you paid for it. If you are going to keep a VW; for a decent amount of time, having a VW specific scan tool, is pretty much required, if you want to diagnose things, fix problems or just have a sense of possible issues, before you have a pro shop fix things. This can enable you, to finally take control of your repair process and save thousands of dollars in repair costs by doing things yourself.

Let us know, how you would like to proceed with diagnostics, troubleshooting and ultimately the needed repairs (diy, pro shop handle things, etc). We can go from there, thanks.

·
Zoomer
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your quick reply! I will probably be getting one of those scan tools they seem to be life savers for everyone on the forums. I think I’m also going to look around at different shops and see what they say since I’m not really willing to risk messing up my transmission as I can only do limited things on the car. I will report back when I have got more information.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey everyone, I recently got a fixer upper 2004 convertible a few months ago now reaching 83k on the odometer. 2.0 with the 09G 6 speed automatic. I recently had the car looked at by a trusted mechanic and he said the car shifted fine for him and there are no trouble codes on my car as of this time. So this issue is that my car, when driven for while, say 30-40 minutes, it likes to over rev from 3-4 occasionally. It won’t happen all the time but it is becoming increasingly more frequent. Also the shift from 1 to 2 is always kind of harsh and my car makes a slight whining noise when accelerating. Most of the time, after the first two gears, my car shifts fine for a 16 year old car. I don’t know too much about this history of this car as far as major maintenance goes but I do know that the oil was maintained regularly at least. I do also love this car and am willing to spend money on it since it is in amazing condition for the age. Wondering if i just need a trans fluid change or a valve body or solenoids or what, any help would be appreciated! ☺
I just mentioned earlier ... these transmission are sold as lifetime trans fluid. One of the significant reasons transmission are marketed in this fashion by all OEMs ... IS NO ONE USES OR WANTS TO SPEND THE MONEY ON THE CORRECT FLUID. Thus they use "Universal Trans Fluids" that in time create some of the issues you are discussing.

Change the fluid by draining the fluid and measure the amount that comes out. Buy either Asisn, Toyota TIV or Mobil 3309, if you take your time you can buy the Mobil for $6 qt at a distributor or for approximate $8-10 for the others.

Drop the pan and wipe clean, clean off the magnets and unscrew the trans filter/screen and reinstall. If the fluid has a blackish tint, you should repeat the process after 500 miles. DO NOT HAVE IT FLUSHED ... and if possible you should perform the change. When my trans was shifting poorly (100K to 106K) everything I read and everyone who had any thought would say .... replace the solenoids and check the valve body. A buddy of mine suggested adding a pint and drive it for 200 miles and if it still shifting poorly, add another pint. I only had to add one pint and then replaced the fluid and it runs perfect.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts