VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
BeetleNut
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I don't log on often but here I am. I have a 2004 Beetle, GLS, automatic transmission with 91,000 miles. Last year I had the timing belt changed when they were fixing the thermostat. Now I have transmission problems - the 'check engine light' came on and would not go off. Took it to the dealer, said it would cost $5,000 to fix trans. Took it to a private transmission shop, $2500. When he took out the transmission he found there was a problem with the Axel and the axel boot (totally over my head). He's trying to find another one to replace mine. OK, now my question. I'm having the transmission fixed, have others had this problem at this mileage. Is it foolish to get it fixed? should I just junk it in the next year (if it lasts) and get a new car. I'm beginning to feel I made the wrong decision putting $2850 into a 10 year old car....The shop guarantees the work for 12 months. do I start looking for a new VW now? I also contacted VW headquarters - I'm too far over the mileage and warranty for them to do anything for me... The mechanic said the engine is in good shape, the car is in good shape should get a lot more mileage out of the car...I'm confused.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had exactly the same dilemma with our 2001 Beetle Auto in the end we paid £2100($3300) to get it repaired ( reconditioned box fitted ) but we lost all confidence in the car and eventually traded it in for a 2013 Beetle Convertible 2.0 TDI DSG

·
Registered
2 Posts
We had a 2001 NB Auto with exactly the same dilemma whether to repair or not, but unfortunately with an automatic car you can't sell it with a broken transmission, so we reluctantly had a recondition box fitted (£2100 or $3300 ) from an independent garage, a replacement box from VW was £3600 fitted which was out of the question. A year later, we traded the car into VW for a 2013 Beetle Cabrio. 2.0 Tdi DSG, because basically we lost all confidence in the car, perhaps it was paranoia but we were always waiting for it too go wrong or breakdown.But as a footnote I believe the car is still running around and going strong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts