VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My flex pipe is shot. I am not a welder. The flex pipe is "directly" attached/welded under the flange. 5 different auto parts store and the VW parts vortex site and no definitive answer on pipe length, inner/out diameter.
The body (flex portion) appears to be approx??? 4inches.
Oh, the vw vortex site doesn't even show a flex pipe. Weird!
Any help would be appreciated.
The local exhaust place says $225 to weld one on. Thoughts? Seems high priced, but until I know the exact part dimensions it's looking like I am stuck.
Any help would be appreciated.
JT
Automotive tire Banana Human body Synthetic rubber Tire

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume the 2004 1.8T has the same arrangement as the 2000 1.8T - the flex joint and pipe are integral to the catalytic converter and not available separately from VW. But you can buy and aftermarket flex joint and have it welded in to the existing pipe and cat, assuming your cat is fine and you don't want to replace it.

I bought a stainless steel replacement flex joint from Muffler Express and had it welded in. So far it's been in for a year and a half and maybe 13k miles or so and no problems.

Good luck!
Tom
Hi Tom, Thanks! That looks like the ticket for me! You have a good one. I'll be posting about seat tensioner/airbag light shortly incase you have any knowledge. I see other threads, but none explaining the wiring in detail, and where to get the part(s). Thanks again!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts