VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night went to pick up a generator and found the trunk latch made the noise but didn't open. Blew the fuse to the lights. Replace fuse and now nothing. I'm going to have to crawl into the back and manually open. I guess I need to get the motor out and see what's going on. Yippee.
Any advice? This model has no other way of opening the hatch that I can see.
Thanks, Chuck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took the back panel off by crawling through the back seat and I got the hatch open. I then took apart the little motor that actuates the hatch lever and it seems to be okay. I replaced the fuse but now the switch doesn't actuate anything. I switched the door switches around between the gas tank and the hatch and it seems like nothing still works. I read somewhere about a relay under the dash so now I'm wondering if the relay is stuck or bad. I'm going to try to figure out which relay end of the dash it is this afternoon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The BodyControlModule looks to see if the latch released the last time. It also looks to see if the latch is engaged before sending the 12v to the solenoid motor. An ordinary person, say, trying to adjust the length of the release linkage or has the motor hanging trying to see if it moves...
Has the trunk open;
Has latch open,
Hits door switch,
Gets nothing.
Or...
Has trunk open,
Has the motor hanging or the linkage off,
Closes latch,
Hits button,
Gets motor to move,
Motor retracts itself after a second,
Hits button again,
Gets nothing cuz BCM didnt see latch open and reclose last time.

You have to manually open and close latch,
Hit button,
See motor move,
Open and close the latch again.
BCM needs to see the latch open and close again. Without that open and reclose,, hitting the button does nothing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts