VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
katybugg
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 NB Convertible with only 10,000 miles on it. It sits for most of the year, Oct-May. I went to start it and of course the battery is dead, each year I have to jump it. This year when I jumped it - it started and immediately died after about 2 seconds. I really didn't think it was the battery but decided maybe it was time to get a new battery after years of jumping it. Changed the battery but it does the same thing.

On a side note, I don't know if this is important but this past year it had to sit outside with a car cover on it. When I unearthed it the drivers side floor is water soaked so there is a leak somewhere on that side. This bummed me out because the car was in like new condition.

The dash battery red light is on and there is a lit up yellow NB symbol with a arrow pointing upwards where the hood is. According to the manual the immobilizer symbol is a NB with a key not an arrow so I'm not sure what that is.

The NB symbol with the gas cap loose symbol was on but I tightened the cap and that light went off. I also put in a gallon of gas.

I had to open the car with the valet key and also used that to start it as I do each year. I switched to the regular key thinking that might be it. Nope, does the same thing.

After I changed the battery I used the regular key, same thing. Switched to the valet key and it wouldn't turn over, just tried to start. Switched back to the regular key, it did turn over and start but died after a couple of seconds.

In january I had to get something out of the car so I jumped the battery so the window would roll up when I closed the door, everything fine then.
Any more ideas I can try?

·
~Feel the Sting~
2,441 Posts
Wow... that's like.. 1500 miles a year in driving or thereabouts.

Before you park it for these lengths of time, do you take proper steps to store it? Besides the fact that oil & gas will start to break down and rust up the inside of the car, the tires will suffer from dry rot, and the battery will go all toasty dead from non-use. They actually recommend disconnecting the battery if it is not to be in use for that length of time..

Here is a good chart that helps plan for parking a vehicle for long lengths of time... How to Store a Car for a Year | eHow.com

Your battery might just be completely dead at this point, you could pull it and take it to a shop and have it tested, but if it's not the battery, your fuel filter could be gunked up, or any other number of things that weren't designed to be left sitting for periods of time.

Ok, that's just my 2 cents :D

·
" I need me one of them"
536 Posts
Check under your hood for mice and or a nest to go with it. Could have made a nest near wiring and decided to make it a part of their nest leaving you with 'issues'.....

My car sat in a garage for a few months and had mice chewing up my wiring harness. Was a mess and hope it's not your issue but just a thought.

·
katybugg
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I thought about the nest thing, took a quick look and didn't see anything. If they built it in the tailpipe what would happen?

When I bought the car I lived in SoCal, now I live in Seattle which explains the low miles. moved to an even more remote area last year, we plan to build the garage this summer.

I wonder if I put new gas in if it would help. I also have another key I could try, it's the key I normally use, it is packed but I think I'll find it and try it.

I love my bug and will probably never sell it. I've had issue's with the wings but play with the reset until they go in.

·
katybugg
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I lived in SoCal at the beach when I bought the car, now I live in Seattle and only drive it on nice days,
We did change the battery, when I used the valet key it didn't start just tried to so I switched back to the reg key and it started then died. I don't think it was the battery but put a new one in anyway just to rule it out.

Wow... that's like.. 1500 miles a year in driving or thereabouts.

Your battery might just be completely dead at this point, you could pull it and take it to a shop and have it tested, but if it's not the battery, your fuel filter could be gunked up, or any other number of things that weren't designed to be left sitting for periods of time.

Ok, that's just my 2 cents :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well, this is what I do for my 65 VW Squareback that now sits for long periods since i got the NB. I attached a quick disconnect terminal to the battery. It's less than $10 at most auto parts stores. It installs to your negative battery terminal and only takes a few minutes to attach. You then unscrew the green knob until the brass contacts are separated when you aren't driving. Voila! your battery is disconnected until you are ready to drive again. It reconnects again easily.

Secondly, I try to convince anyone I know, who like myself has to park outside all the time to use a waterproof car cover. I use one for my '65. If I didn't, I would constantly be searching for the leaks and water would get inside EVERYTIME it rains. I use one particular brand cover for both my cars and I highly recommend them. They are made by Covercraft Ind. and it is called the Weathershield style. It is THE best cover I have ever used. They have thousands of patterns. The one I have is custom made for the New Beetle and fits like a glove. It has mirror pockets. It even has an antenna sock, though I find it easier to take off my antenna. This cover is pricey compared to the generic ones you see at the auto parts stores, but those are usually horrible. If you can afford it, the Weathershield is really choice. I buy on -line at AJ USA.com It is listed under the "Better" or "Best" custom outdoor covers. They are out of San Diego, CA. and offer free ground shipping. I know that this doesn't solve the problem of your leaks, but still, a good cover will solve a multitude of annoyances. I'm really BIG on these covers. Can you tell? :D

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
I have a 2004 NB Convertible with only 10,000 miles on it. It sits for most of the year, Oct-May. I went to start it and of course the battery is dead, each year I have to jump it. This year when I jumped it - it started and immediately died after about 2 seconds. I really didn't think it was the battery but decided maybe it was time to get a new battery after years of jumping it. Changed the battery but it does the same thing.

On a side note, I don't know if this is important but this past year it had to sit outside with a car cover on it. When I unearthed it the drivers side floor is water soaked so there is a leak somewhere on that side. This bummed me out because the car was in like new condition.

The dash battery red light is on and there is a lit up yellow NB symbol with a arrow pointing upwards where the hood is. According to the manual the immobilizer symbol is a NB with a key not an arrow so I'm not sure what that is.

The NB symbol with the gas cap loose symbol was on but I tightened the cap and that light went off. I also put in a gallon of gas.

I had to open the car with the valet key and also used that to start it as I do each year. I switched to the regular key thinking that might be it. Nope, does the same thing.

After I changed the battery I used the regular key, same thing. Switched to the valet key and it wouldn't turn over, just tried to start. Switched back to the regular key, it did turn over and start but died after a couple of seconds.

In january I had to get something out of the car so I jumped the battery so the window would roll up when I closed the door, everything fine then.
Any more ideas I can try?
I think your keys need recoding to the car and you have the immobiliser kicking in. Such a prolonged period of dead battery will cause the ECU to drain down and lose its setting.

You need to trickle charge the battery while not in use and look at her more often while in storage...

Personally I don't like waterproof covers, they trap humidity under the cover and that causes its own problems, obviously yur cover isn't watertight in any case :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts