NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My wifes 04 NBC broke the cable mount on the small forward flap ( not the large one ) on the passenger side of her bug this evening. Has anyone ever replaced one of these? ( I did search and didn't find anything ).
Anyone have a part #????
I assume I have to buy the whole assembly or at least the sub-assembly under the flap. I got the top back up but I need to get it fixed and I know the dealer will charge a arm, leg and small dog for it.....

Any info will help

Thanks all
:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I believe Tico4Life has this issue and the information. He hasn't been around much lately but try p/ming him. If you don't get a response, p/m me and I'll email him.

MORAV

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
Here's the schematic of the flap assembly.
You should be able to get the part numbers you need from here.
Dissassmebly of the interior panel is required to really work on this. Good luck :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

With regard to the schematic above, my stupid dealership in the UK whilst repairing the hood operation last summer, I have now discovered forgot to replace the small emergency pull cables, part number (3A), to enable you to disconnect the ball end rod, item (2) in the event of the auto roof mechanism failure, enabling you to manually close the roof as per the handbook, which I had to carry out as the roof would not raise.

The dealership claims they didn't touch the flap mechanism, which is clearly BS as I disconnected them as the manual said using the pull chords to shut the roof manually. So, after finding the reason why the hood wouldn’t close automatically in the first place, part of the fix would have been reconnecting the flap mechanism and re set the emergency pull chord in case the problem happened again.

Anyway, what I was wondering is if someone could take picture of their flap mechanism which shows the emergency pull chord around the ball joint and the pull handle if possible. The dealership is having trouble understanding it can only be their liability – but parts don't just dissapear!

Hope this makes sense?

In the meantime, I have taken the pesky flaps off because without the emergency pull chords if the roof problem happens again then there is only brute force left available.

Does anyone know if you can mod or upgrade them to the later versions (i.e. remove the flaps completely)? I recall reading the 2005 models had the redundant servo motors initially moved into the trunk where they basically sat doing nothing but completing the electrical circuit? A black plastic wrap around piece was then inserted where the flap mechanism was to make the area look better?

Any help on both would be appreciated.

Regards

CR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts