VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Christina
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

My bug has 128,000 miles. It runs well (after extensive maintenance I've done over the years :D). I bought it used it around 65,000 miles, and I don't know if it ever had a transmission fluid change or flush.

I have to go in for new spark plugs in the next few weeks and was wondering if I should get a transmission fluid flush/change? I don't have the Owner's Manual (I should probably purchase it, i know) so I don't know the recommendation for my car in terms of transmission fluid change. I've done the other recommendations such as water pump/timing belt.

My car seems to run fine, no hesitation or issues with the gear, but I keep reading mixed reviews on transmission flushing/changing, so I'm not sure if I should get it done when I get my spark plugs changed.

Your feedback is very much appreciated!!

Thank you,
Christina

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
I would; VW didn't seem to think so but called it a "lifetime fill" but this has seemed to contribute to all the problems, people have had with their automatic transmissions. I am glad to hear; you haven't had any problems with yours at this point.

For a fluid change kit; you might check out Audi Parts - Vw Parts - Audi Parts Vw Parts Kit Company - Blauparts® , they have everything you need, just look up your car for more info.

Some good info:

VW Automatic Transmission Fluid - How To Change VW Transmission Fluid

Vw Automatic Transmission Fluid - How To Change Vw Transmission Fluid - Ravenol

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=F2A1012-A

Here is the maintenance schedule for your 2004 New Beetle; you might want to print this out, for reference.

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/...e+-+2004+-+New+Beetle,+New+Beetle+Convertible

·
Registered
90 Posts
My car drove fine until about 133,000 miles. The fluid had never been changed and the transmission filter got clogged and started to randomly shift rough into 3rd. I didn't get a "flush", but rather a drain and fill with new filter. Since that doesn't change all the fluid (a lot is left in the torque converter), the new fluid mixes with the old. I got the drain/fill/filter done again after a week or so. Now there are no problems shifting.

I highly recommend getting it changed. But I'm not sure how healthy a flush would be if it has never been done at this point.

This is VW "lifetime" transmission fluid...

Drink Distilled beverage Liqueur

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Christina
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your quick replies! I've been doing some research as well, and it looks like I'm better of getting a full drain as opposed to just a flush. thanks again!

·
Christina
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one more issue that I forgot about it. I've noticed recently that when I turn on my car in the morning (or after I haven't driven it for some hours, or at other times) that my car will make a "whoosh" type of noise when it turns on. I recently replaced my car battery and my alternator was checked as well and it's good. No idea why it makes that sound. Other than that, it runs well. I hope it's nothing too terrible! :-/

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
If you are referring to something;; that has a spinning winding up noise, like s jet engine... that is most likely the secondary air injection pump. That is normal and it is supposed to come on. If it is rattling or particularly noisy; you might check and see, if the rubber mounts are broken or if the pump is dying. The pump; is in front of the engine; between the engine and the radiator.i

·
Registered
758 Posts
I would never get a "flush" on any of my cars, because they all have transmission filters that need to be replaced (when changing the fluid), so you have to drop the pan anyway. A shop that does a "flush" might get lazy and not change the filter which is a bad thing.

·
Christina
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it's been "particularly" making this sound. I'll have my mechanic check next week when I go in for the spark plugs and transmission fluid change.

Again, thank you all for all for your input!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Flush Chemicals

I would never get a "flush" on any of my cars, because they all have transmission filters that need to be replaced (when changing the fluid), so you have to drop the pan anyway. A shop that does a "flush" might get lazy and not change the filter which is a bad thing.
Plus, I wouldn't want those flush chemicals damaging any parts inside my transmission.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts