·
Bitten by the Bug...
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
You might have some orgers not too far from you that can turn a wrench, who might do the work for you. Some might be kind enough to do it for dinner and some cold drinks of their choosing. You'd be surprised on the strength and kindness of this community.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Changing out a Slave Cylinder is fairly easy; the Master Cylinder is a bit more complicated because you have remove the ABS Unit and neither is an expensive repair ... just another .02 ...
The slave cylinder is not easy on a Turbo S ~ 6 Speed transmission
Its a combo (cylinder and throw out bearing) unit and is mounted inside the bell housing, you have to drop the transmission to get to it...

K

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
The slave cylinder is not easy on a Turbo S ~ 6 Speed transmission
Its a combo (cylinder and throw out bearing) unit and is mounted inside the bell housing, you have to drop the transmission to get to it...

K
Thanks Krash, I did not know that; well if you have to go to all that effort, you might as well put a new clutch in it as well.

·
Bitten by the Bug...
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well if you have to go to all that effort, you might as well put a new clutch in it as well.
That's my thinking, but that is the part I can't afford to replace at the moment. Unfortunately the clutch kit with a new dual mass flywheel is rather expensive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
248 Posts
That's my thinking, but that is the part I can't afford to replace at the moment. Unfortunately the clutch kit with a new dual mass flywheel is rather expensive.

Forget about the dual mass flywheel and get the single mass flywheel instead. It cuts down the price by half and is more durable/reliable too.

·
5,639 Posts

Forget about the dual mass flywheel and get the single mass flywheel instead. It cuts down the price by half and is more durable/reliable too.
GAP has a TS Single Mass Clutch Kit for $625.00 (plus shipping) and for that price I would have to do it myself instead of out source it.

The only issue that I have with the Single Mass Clutch, is it pulls to the right during hard acceleration and you have to counter steer; then when lift your foot off to shift, you have to remember to counter-counter steer.

·
Bitten by the Bug...
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GAP has a TS Single Mass Clutch Kit for $625.00 (plus shipping) and for that price I would have to do it myself instead of out source it.
That's the best price I've seen so far for a full kit. Thanks a lot. Any special tools required to drop the 6-speed tranny?

·
5,639 Posts
That's the best price I've seen so far for a full kit. Thanks a lot. Any special tools required to drop the 6-speed tranny?
I do not know as I have never done one ... obviously there are differences, the Slave Cylinder being one. Of course if you sale me yours ;) I would then be able to answer your question. :)

Here is the Transmission DIY Thread that I did, it might be helpful ... or at the least it will give you an idea of what is involved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts