NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I purchased a 2004 Beetle GL for my daughter's first car. The previous owner lost control and hit a guardrail and broke the driver fender and rear bumper cover. What year fenders are interchangeable? Car-Part.com says 99-05 is interchangeable, but all the other websites only show interchangeable 99-03 and separate for 04-05. I am having a hard time finding a green one locally, so I think I'll have to have one shipped and don't want to get the wrong one!

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
When I need to find this type of info; I go to VW's parts site and compare the various years in question and see if the part number is the same. Easy to do and I would assume, the best info available, directly from VW themselves.

http://parts.vw.com/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link, that's where I am confused. VW says 04-05 is its own fender, but a lot of the aftermarket sites list 1 fender for all up to 2005. Hoping someone has tried or knows of any differences. The bumper cover is the same up to 05, but something may be different with the rear fenders.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have come across with other VWs I have owned that a particular part number coincides with one group of years and/or models and another one coincides with a different group ... yet, sometimes they are still interchangeable.

VW won't tell you the second part. But don't assume anything.

My 2002 Cabrio (Mk 3.5) had the same front appearance as my wife's 2002 Golf (Mk 4). The hood and grill were completely different. The headlights would have been the same if the Golf headlights had the integrated fog lights like my Cabrio.

When I t-boned a ditzwad who somehow didn't see me on an otherwise deserted road and pulled out in front of me when I was driving my (Rabbit based) Pickup, the repair facility accidently put an '84 Rabbit grill on it. I actually liked it better than the "proper" '81 grill so I was extra happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts