NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
Well I see I am not the only one. Unfortunately I bought my nbc used at dec 09 with 33, 000 mi. from toyota dealer. I do believe I had visited vw in the summer of 2010 for oil change. I was not told of this "extended warranty" for transmission. I did ask them about a recall on air bag, this was replaced w original owner.

I found out through an independent shop that there may be warranty on the catalytic converter (came up on diagnostic). Contacted local vw and sure enough my car could be fixed. I originally felt a little tug on car upon stopping, but I didn't really think much about it and figured I was beyond warranty. Now, the past, say, 8-9 mos it has been getting worse and worse. Looking at the timeline I purchased the car and when this srarted, if I had known about this "warranty" I could have had the car fixed by vw.

So, if I can't, is it possible for home mechanic that has taken apart and replaced engines, to work on a tranny? What kind of parts are we looking at possibly puchasing? Any thoughts on the matter would be helpful.

Karen

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Which transmission do you have (how many speeds)? The 4-speed is particularly vulnerable to problems, mostly the valve bodies and the wiring harness that is inside the oil pan. Here one thread about the automatic transmission:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmission-talk/60698-01m-valve-body-issue.html

The first thing to do would be sure the level is OK. Next would be do a fluid change and inspect for wear particles in the bottom of the pan. Checking the fluid level on a VW is a little different. Here is some info:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmission-talk/60709-auto-trans-level-check-fill-info.html

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Unfortunately both the 4 & 6 speed automatics have issues with worn valve bodies. VW attempted to resolve this issue with software updates for the transmission, however, software cannot solve a mechanical problem!

The issue is the valve body bores wear out and the solenoids wear as well.

The most difficult issue with the valve body is getting all the wiring disconnected without breaking the solenoid top caps and keeping track of where all the wires go.

Overall not a really bad job. You cold likely get the valve body out in 2-3 hours.

Rebuilt valve bodies or getting your valve body reworked runs around $550 plus shipping.

You are likely looking at $750-$800 for a DIY job to include fluid, filter and possibly a wiring harness for the 4 speed. Not seen many wiring issues with the 6 speeds.

Problem will get worse as the engine/trans fluid warms up and will continue to get worse at the miles get added on. Harsh downshifting and late/abrupt upshifting are the common symptoms.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts