NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need help with my 2004 VW Beetle. Everytime I turn on the headlight switch the EPC light comes on and my tail lights, brake lights and cruise control stops working.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hmmm... the only thing that I can think of that intersects with all of those systems is the brake-light switch, which serves as a control input to all of those systems.

For the cruise control system, if the brake-light switch has failed in the switch-closed position, the cruise-control system would think you had your foot on the brake pedal, a condition that would prompt the cruise-control system to disengage.

The same fault condition could illuminate your brake-lights as well as confuse the hell out of your EPC system; the EPC (Electronic Pedal Control) is the "fly by wire" system that controls the throttle, which took the place of the mechanical cable that went from the gas pedal to the throttle body on VW's. The engine ECU wouldn't know what to think if it perceives you as simultaneously pushing on the throttle and the brakes. :D

The brake-light switch is about $4 (Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Brake Light Switch > ES#300289 Brake Light Switch - 1C0945511ANAR) and is located up in the pedal cluster under the dashboard.

Good luck! :cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts