NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 16 year old daughter just bought a 2004 Beetle convertible from online and now the top will not go down. It is an automatic top and we looked up instructions but not working. We released the lever, pushed the button, flaps in back open but the top does not move. The driver side quarter window is also not working and the guy she bought car from put tape on switch because if you put window down I guess it stays. We were wondering if the window is related to the top or if this is two different problems. Then we were also wondering if the top could be put down manually since it does move manually once released. We are not mechanical at all and I really don't want to take to a mechanic without idea of what could be wrong. Thank you!

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
You may have two different issues; the convertible tops, typically have a sensor malfunction and then, they won't come down. I would get the quarter window repaired; typically, you need a new window regulator or install the repair kit from your local vw dealer. Here are some videos; going over testing procedures and a way, to bypass the switch, that commonly fails, to get the top down.

bypass technique; shown @ (5:00):

In the video, the program and cable is a factory level scan tool; which helps you diagnose the problem correctly, called VCDS by Ross Tech.

Here is a video, discussing; that replacement of the rear quarter window regulator, to get a idea, of what is involved.

Let us know, if the bypass technique works for you and how you want to proceed with needed repairs, we can go from there. Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts