NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a VW Bug for my son, and it had the both front airbags blown. I found some in a junkyard, and put them in. I am sure there is more to it, but at this point I don't know what the next step should be. Thanks. I did look through the other posts and there were a lot of them about people getting warning lights with no idea why they came on. Obviously I know why these came on, just no clue on how to get it off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
SRS is dangerous to be working with. Did you already turn the car on with no problems? If you are unsure I would take it to someone who knows the system. I once had an airbag light due to a loose battery connection and I used OBDeleven to clear the code.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You’ll also need to replace the crash sensor in front of the vehicle and at least the drivers seat belt assembly maybe the passenger also. Obdeleven isn’t going to cut the mustard here you’ll need vcds to know exactly which parts need replacing. Once everything is replaced the airbag light will not go off by itself you’ll need to turn it off, again with vcds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You’ll also need to replace the crash sensor in front of the vehicle and at least the drivers seat belt assembly maybe the passenger also. Obdeleven isn’t going to cut the mustard here you’ll need vcds to know exactly which parts need replacing. Once everything is replaced the airbag light will not go off by itself you’ll need to turn it off, again with vcds.
Okay, so, should I be able to take the crash sensor, airbag module and drivers seat belt from the 03 coupe I got the airbags from? Or is that going to not play nice?

·
Registered
646 Posts
There are some differences for some of the years but I think 03 and 04 should be ok. For this job you really need vcds so you can see what’s going on with the various modules.

·
Registered
646 Posts
When one of these cars is in a crash and the crash sensor in front of the car is triggered. The airbags will obviously deploy and since 04 was before vw used “smart” airbags (which only go off on the passenger side if someone is sitting in the seat) they both go off. In addition the seat belt igniters will go off locking the seat belts. Which requires replacement of the seat belt assembly inside the rear quarter panel.

With vcds you can see which modules need to be replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are my options for vcds? I do see that there is a free version of vcds lite. Is that something that will work for the airbag rest/issue detection? Also, I have a OBDII diagnostic interface with a USB connection. Is that something that will work, or do I need something else? It has a switch on it, but I can't remember what the two functions are. (Bought if for a Ford, but it is not specifically for a Ford) If the light doesn't work, are there older versions of vcds that are cheaper? Don't want to spend $350 just to run a couple scans.

·
Registered
646 Posts

I would go with the $199 , I’ve never tried lite so I don’t know if it will read the airbag module, if you have a question call Ross tech, I have before and got the owner on the phone.

Or you can keep watch of the for sale section on tdi club. These cables often pop up as people sell their vw. So even if you buy one you can sell it later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I would go with the $199 , I’ve never tried lite so I don’t know if it will read the airbag module, if you have a question call Ross tech, I have before and got the owner on the phone.

Or you can keep watch of the for sale section on tdi club. These cables often pop up as people sell their vw. So even if you buy one you can sell it later.

Thanks for all the help. I will look at it next week

1 - 11 of 11 Posts