NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 VW beetle 1.8 turbo convertible. The top would not fully go down and I read that if you pushed up on one corner of it on one of the forums that it may help. Well I did and I guess I did it to much, the flap piece broke and so did that little shock connected to it. So now the top doesn't go up and down at all. Would that piece that's broke on the flap cause the top to not operate because of some kind of sensor? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
Good question, have you scanned for trouble codes? You might take some photos of the damage and post it here, so we can see what you are referring to.

For diagnosis, a VW scan tool; like VCDS, by Ross Tech, can help you read trouble codes, see live data and confirm, what the problem is. Check out this video; for common issues and the type of testing, you can do with VCDS, to see what is going on with the top.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Billy ,I will take it this week to get scanned and maybe that will give me some kind of idea of what's going on.ill try and post some pictures also.thanks for your help

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a different place for the scan tool for the top or is the spot under the dashboard the hook up for all codes? Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it a special scanner for just the top or will a regular scanner they use at advance Auto work?

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
You need a vw specific scan tool, to access the controller, view live data and read the related trouble codes. VCDS by ross tech is a example of a vw specific scan tool:

There a others like obdeleven and other Chinese knockoff"vag" hand held scanners sold on ebay, amazon but VCDS is highly recommended.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, one more question. The link rod that is attached to the 171 switch ,is that what actually starts and engages everything. I'm looking at a break down of that switch and where it's located and it looks like that link rod is what starts everything in motion. Am I seeing this correctly? If so I believe that's my issue because both my link rods are broken. I'm hitting the junk yard tomorrow to see if I can find 2.

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
I haven't worked on the top mechanism yet; you might look over the online service manual and self study program, to see how the system works:

New Beetle Convertible self study program 281

Be sure to share and document, any repairs you end up doing; so, others can learn from your experience, thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. That's actually where I came up with the idea that it may be those small link rods. Looks like it slides the rail back that activates the switch.if it works I'll let you know. Thanks again for your help. I know these cars can be a headache but I love driving ours. I got a great deal on it.$1500 it looks brand new after I cleaned it up. Little old lady had it. Inside was covered with dust and cobwebs .replaced a few censors ,and a few other things but it is running like brand new.My wife has currently taken over this one lol and I have fixed a few things on it. It's running great and I've enjoyed working on it. I may end up getting another one down the road if I can continue to make repairs to it on my own. Thank you again for all your help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts