VW Beetle Forum banner

2004 VW New Beetle Problems

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Giddo Beetle 
#1 ·
Hey, I have a 2004 VW Beetle Turbo convertible that I just purchased. The car has 80,000 miles on it. Runs and drives great. The interior is a different story. The car has no door panels, and the windows don’t go up or down, and the top does not work either. The window switch for the drivers and passengers side is present but they both do nothing to the windows when pressed. The door locks do work, but the mirror doesn’t. The gas opener works, but the trunk release doesn’t. I can’t find any fuses or anything for the windows, I’m hoping that someone can help me!!!

#2 · (Edited)
For the front door, top: these are common issues; a vw scan tool, is a good way to diagnose electrical issues and for things like the convertible top, as well can pinpoint issues.

Here is VCDS by Ross Tech; shown in use, for testing the top:

We see different things; like failing position sensors, killing normal top operation.

When, it comes to missing parts; check local junk yards, search here: www.car-parts.com

We see issues with water ingress on the rear trunk with the brake light leaking, water going into the actuator and corroding the wires, actuator, lock, etc.

Also, the wiring harness, that travels from the body into the rear hatch; where the flex area is, in the hatch, flexes and eventually the wires break, killing power to the door.

This can also be a issue; at the flex area of the harness, going from the body to the door, it is encased in a ribbed rubber sheath and eventually the wires break there as well.

Basics, like a circuit test and/or multimeter; to find power and check fuses, shouldn’t be over looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Okay thank you! I will Do tomorrow. I am Also getting P0321 code for the speed sensor. A mechanic replaced the sensor and the check engine m light is still on. The car drives fine…..The EPC light is on too. The O2 sensor code is up as well, I have A Bosch unit to replace. What do y’all think the P0321 code could be?

#4 ·
We also, see previous owners; installing used parts from different years, that physically fit but are incompatible, making things stop working and making the communications bus go down. Look for junk yard yellow paint pen markings and production dates, earlier then your year vehicle and wrong part numbers in general.

#5 ·

We see damaged wiring harnesses and plug housing with broken locking tabs or terminals. Both replacement terminals with pre crimped repair wires and replacement plug housings are available from your local vw dealer. Also, you can clean off the plug; it will have a vw part #, on it and then search online for a pigtail, usually sold on ebay or amazon, normally Chinese knockoff parts, i prefer those from VW, for a quality repair solution.

#6 ·
Do you have a maintenance history on the car? Make sure the timing belt/water pump have been changed recently. If you don't have a history on them, I would get that job done. A lot of people won't consider time as a factor and on a low mileage car, that service can get overlooked, but its a critical one.

#7 ·
Hello, almost the same thing happens to me as to you, so I suspect that we have a fault that causes all our electrical problems. [emoji1313][emoji1313]

Let's get in touch if we manage to find the problem.

Greetings.

#9 ·
You need to find a good Pull A Part salvage yard ... and keep an eye on the inventory, most post daily NEW inventory. One thing you need to know you need to replace your Power Window motors ....time for Junk Yard ... I have purchased parts from aftermarket sellers two to be specific and neither work PWM worked ... so I went to a junk yard and pulled almost everthing you mentioned .... Window motors $12.50, window switches $5 a piece and a hand full of fuses for a dollar .. oh, the big savings .... a sun visor was $109 from the local dealer, junk yard looked at the sunvisor and said, "I guess this is free, I don't have the time to look up the price ...." I offered $5. and he said, you srpending $50 on all this other stuff .. don't worry. The 2005 Beetle convertibles top ...works only when all for window motors work. Very important - - the module for the front winow motors are built into the motor ...

Your lucky .. the vehicle I had to fix didn't run well (temperature sensor issue), but it a car that will be an inconic vehicle now and in the future !!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.