NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Hoping you can point me in the right direction...68,000km on the car.

My beetle has been in the vw dealer for well over a week. My CEL came on, and misfires.
1) Coil pack replaced
2) new spark plugs

Dealer disconnected the oxygen sensor, and it ran fine. They ordered one in, now my car (with still original sensor in) when started cold will misfire for 1-3 mins, then run fine once warm. They now believe it isn't the o2 sensor.

They have the car hooked up to a fuel pressure gauge and the computer hoping to get a code today, but they have to wait for the car to repeatedly cool down after running for a few minutes.

They say they feel they are chasing a ghost!
Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas?
Many thanks,
Leigh

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
What codes are coming up? Its hard to give much information without the codes. If they have been doing diagnostics without getting codes first, then that's a poor dealer.

·
Registered
13,860 Posts
There are many different things that can cause misfires and drivability problems. Misfires, typically come down to ignition or fuel delivery issues. Troubleshooting, through a process of elimination is the process that needs to gone through; hopefully, they will find the culprit. As noted, trouble codes and live data, would help (e.g. fuel trim levels, fuel pressure, codes, maf readings, etc.).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check your compression and leak down. I had a misfire, and it ended up being a cracked engine block. Though rare it happens, or could be a blown/cracked head. This is after i replaced/checked coils, spark plugs, hoses, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts