VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
My name is Hannah. I was hoping to look at a Beetle to purchase from a dealership.
The one I’m seeing in my hometown is a 2010 with 54,408 miles for $9,000.
The other is a 2005 which would have to be shipped to me with 37,523 miles going for $7,991.
And the last is the 2008 Beetle for $9,000 with 34,853 miles that would also have to be shipped.
would the beetle in my area be worth it with 54,000 miles compared to shipping it in or should I talk to the dealerships and see if they are willing to ship to me? Thanks so much everyone! I hope to make a choice today!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello Everyone,
My name is Hannah. I was hoping to look at a Beetle to purchase from a dealership.
The one I’m seeing in my hometown is a 2010 with 54,408 miles for $9,000.
The other is a 2005 which would have to be shipped to me with 37,523 miles going for $7,991.
And the last is the 2008 Beetle for $9,000 with 34,853 miles that would also have to be shipped.
would the beetle in my area be worth it with 54,000 miles compared to shipping it in or should I talk to the dealerships and see if they are willing to ship to me? Thanks so much everyone! I hope to make a choice today!
Hi Hannah...and welcome to the newbeetle.org Forums! :)

The lowest mileage car I would usually start looking towards first.

The 2006-2010 New Beetles look better have a facelift or an upgraded look...and are much nicer in styling (in my opinion at least).

If it was me for this matter - I would remove the 2005 model from the list...if the look was the most important thing.
However if the 2005 model was a 'Turbo S' or is one with a ' 1.8T ' engine...then I would go for that first.

Then you have to consider what transmission each car has...and what transmission you want...or decide if the paint or interior color is important to you.

You should also try and check if they have any damage history...and ask if any of them have any known mechanical issues.

If one needs a timing belt or automatic transmission replacement...these are common VW New Beetle Issues - and can be very expensive to fix.

Do you have any pictures of the cars...or any other more specific information on them?🤔

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My daughters name is Hannah. She drives a beetle an 01 diesel 5spd, and part of the reason I’m on this forum.

If you do a search of this site you will see a lot of automatic transmission issues especially on earlier years. I would say whichever beetle has the manual is a safe bet. However I suspect none of them do, so my suggestion is the newer vehicle would have the better auto and get a guarantee from a local dealer that’s not far from your house so when you need to have it fixed you don’t need to do a road trip. A guarantee is after all why you pay a premium price from a dealer, that and they should have gone completely through the vehicle replacing everything, brakes, tires, and anything else that needed it, and doing an inspection so it can be licensed for the road.

It’s amazing as I think of vehicles today, almost every vehicle regardless of brand has auto transmission issues especially after crossing the 100k mark some brands like Nissan with their cvt’s are really bad. A manual transmission on the other hand can go hundreds of thousands of miles, rarely do they fail. However we’ve been collectively told by car salesman for the last 30 years if we dare ask if they have a desirable model in a stick, “no one drives those anymore” which has become a self fulfilling statement.

For those who say they don’t like driving them in heavy traffic, I learned to drive stick in LA traffic when I was 18 and had a ball.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah...but that hometown one has a lot more miles on it than the others...and going for that one you could be possibly choosing the worst one just because of the convenience.

I'd rather a good car with no or little guarantee/warranty options...than a bad car with one.

It might not be the worst car yet though (without knowing anymore information on each one)...I'm just offering another thing to consider is all. :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,353 Posts
It may have more miles, but its still very low miles for the year. I am much more wary of cars that just sit and aren't driven, like the older cars. You're going to have maintenance things to take care of due to age and lack of use. I would go the newest one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A car that's a lower mileage car - plus has always been maintained occasionally driven , garaged and looked after is ideal in my opinion.

If you don't use a car at all and leave it in complete neglect for years...the brake cylinders corrode out , transmission seals dry
up and start to perish...tires can start to crack , fuel lines and rubber hoses can rot , engine cooling systems can corrode up and rust
out.

I'm aware of all the things that happen to a car left sitting...but it's usually in cases of extreme neglect for a car to be ruined by such
issues.

If somethings being well maintained and used occasionally...the age doesn't matter so much. :)

My Dad has a few vintage and old cars in his collection ranging from 1914 to 1970...and the ones on club registration that he sometimes
uses only get used a few times a year.
Although they are kept in dry storage...they spend the majority of the time just sitting around.

Moving parts getting worn out is the biggest problem he has!:)

Also...the further a New Beetle is from being due for a timing belt change the better in my opinion.
My 2004 1.8T New Beetle cost me around $1,100 in my country to have a new timing belt supplied & fitted (along with a new water pump).

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
50,000 miles is barely broke in, my diesel Golf will cross over the 410,000 mark this week, miles not KM, my daughters bug has about 225,000 on it so all these choices are barely a blip on my odometer. Having a fresh timing belt (with documentation) otherwise assume the seller is lying and a manual transmission is the best scenario.

I would take a manual transmission with an unknown timing belt, over an auto with a fresh belt change, because I would just change the belt. Every VW I have bought has been without timing belt documentation and I have just changed them out. Changing or fixing a transmission is not fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for chiming in! I appreciate it! I’m off to a dealership to test drive a 2010 with 54,408 miles. Hope it goes well and I hope that this car will last me a while. I’ll definitely get the timing belt changed out too.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,353 Posts
The 2010 doesn't have a timing belt, as it should be a 2.5L. Those have timing chains.

Reactions: hannahlusignan

·
Registered
89 Posts
Did you guys in the USA only get one engine (2.5L) in 2010? In Australia We had the 1.9 TDI (in 5 speed manual transmission only) and the 1.6L Petrol (aka Gasoline to USA)...plus a 2.0 Petrol (only in the Cabriolet/Convertible though).

I'd still prefer a lower mileage car whether it 's engine has a timing belt or chain...as all engines ultimately have a life span - and the farther from the end of it the better.

As much as everyone who loves a manual transmission enjoys it...it's not always the best thing for everyone else though - as many cannot drive a stick shift.

There was two cops on a cop show I watched pointing to a manual transmission shifter and saying something like "there's the anti-theft device...no-one knows how to drive
stick shift anymore".
I thought was kind of funny...and so many people lately must be just learning to drive with automatic only - and not bothering to learn to drive a manual.

A bit of a shame really - as funny as I thought that was...and it would be good if more made a little extra effort to learn stick shift.
I at the same time get it though that some people want driving to be as easy as possible...and have no interest in manually changing gears.

My license test was done in a manual transmission car - and I can drive a manual no problems...but I prefer an automatic in a daily usage car.

While my 2004 New Beetle (1.8T with 01m automatic) is off the road my daily transport is a 2004 Honda CBR600RR (with six speed manual transmission) - and even though I like automatic in a daily used car...I love my bike being manual.
Some motorcycles/scooters have an automatic style transmission with no clutch...though I wouldn't enjoy one of those as much personally.

Anyway...all the best to Hannah with whatever they end up doing! :)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You are so correct Beetel, some younger kids here in the states don’t even know there is such a thing as a manual transmission and yes it is an anti-theft device.

One guy in the early 2000’s bought his daughter a car for college a Cadillac with a stick. He wanted a large car with a full frame and he didn’t want anyone borrowing her car. Fortunately the large size was never needed in an accident and not a single one of her friends borrowed her car. I don’t think Cadillac puts sticks in their cars anymore.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You are so correct Beetel, some younger kids here in the states don’t even know there is such a thing as a manual transmission and yes it is an anti-theft device.

One guy in the early 2000’s bought his daughter a car for college a Cadillac with a stick. He wanted a large car with a full frame and he didn’t want anyone borrowing her car. Fortunately the large size was never needed in an accident and not a single one of her friends borrowed her car. I don’t think Cadillac puts sticks in their cars anymore.
Haha - that's so funny...awesome! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts