VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mojo Jojo
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Beetle GLS OEM HID headlamps

Hello all...does anyone have any information on replacing the OEM HID headlamps with a less expensive aftermarket solution? HID or just projector beams, I am assuming some sort of new connector would have to be added to the wiring harness. Replacement assembly is $800 so I would like to know if anyone has replaced these with an alternative, hard to spend that much on a 8 yo car. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Yeah really I would be all over factory HID, even though they're not cheap. I would try ebay or a junk yard. It might be hard to find but I'm sure there are some out there.

·
Mojo Jojo
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea its been great, nothing like the visibility you get but I have replaced two lens for a total of 600 bucks and now I have lost low beam and two mechanics have checked it both state it cant be fixed, new assembly is needed.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Are you sure it's not just the ballast or is that what you need to replace? I don't have any personal experience with them so can't say 100% what is going on.

If you do decide to swap to the halogen headlights, there is a lot of wiring that needs to be considered. I believe the halogen only has 3 wires whereas the HID has 10.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts