NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 NB is having alot of trouble starting in the cold. The check engine light came on and I got the codes P0671, P0672. I replaced all four glow plugs. I now try to start the car in the morning after 8 hours sitting in roughly 30 degrees. The engine attempts to start but seems to stutter and than stalls. It takes anywhere from 3-7 starts to get it going. Once running it operates fine and when warm it starts right up. This weekend I tested the glow plugs with a multimeter and they all tested at 1.2 ohms. I than stuck the multimeter into the glow plug harness and grounded it. When turning the key while testing the harness I get a spike of 7v for a second and than it levels off to 4v for roughly 10 seconds. All four legs of the harness put out the same 4v. I am wondering if it is a harness issue or an issue with the glow plug relay. What is the normal voltage to get out of the harness? And is there anyway to test a relay before buying the $150 nonreturnable replacement?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Where are you located?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
It could be the harness. But the glows don't even really start working until below 40. It should be able to start decently well. Are you still getting the codes?

I would also consider air in the lines. Or a weak starter or battery. How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alternator was tested and is fine. Battery was replaced last month on unrelated issue.

I did not think the started was the issue because when it is warm there is no issue. This led me to believe it was something to do with the glow plugs. I no longer get the codes except the initial start after i disconnect the harness to test it. Under normal circumstances the check engine light does not come on.

Lately here it has been in the low thirties in the morning which is when the problem is worse. Has anyone ever changed the harness and found a write up on it? It seems rather involved having to run the wire through the engine.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Check TDI Club. We put a new harness in our Jetta TDI recently. I'd also post over there and see if they have any thoughts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts