VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some input/advice on a project i am working on. I got a 05 beetle conv. 2.0 engine. I know its the 6 speed (GGZ) code/. I ran the vin with a transmission shop and thats the data he gave me. I also have a 05 Conv. but is the the turbo version. It looks the same but i am told that the transmission is different. They are both 6 speeds one turbo one non turbo, there even same baby blue/ did they change the transmission for turbo's? Can i use it for the non-turbo car? Any help to point me in the right direction. (I bought a 2000 beetle hartop turbo for parts car but was informed that would not fit either only a GGZ transmission)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention was is wrong with the vehicle. First it does not move anywhere in any gear, can even be pushed around like its in neutral when it is in park. Also when putting it back into park there is a bad grind

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Before you go swapping transmissions did you check to make sure the inner cv axles are still attached at the flanges. A common problem with these vehicles is that someone does some work that involves separating that inner joint and then they do not torque it together properly. After a few miles maybe 100 or maybe 10000 the axle comes apart sometimes damaging the transmission housing or other nearby parts. When that happens the car will not move in any gear under power.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before you go swapping transmissions did you check to make sure the inner cv axles are still attached at the flanges. A common problem with these vehicles is that someone does some work that involves separating that inner joint and then they do not torque it together properly. After a few miles maybe 100 or maybe 10000 the axle comes apart sometimes damaging the transmission housing or other nearby parts. When that happens the car will not move in any gear under power.
ok ill get it up in the air and check it

·
5/23/10 <3
11,299 Posts
Looks like the HGA is for the 1.8T and the GGZ is for the 2.0L so it should fit, but the gearing is likely to be different.

Have you had the car scanned for codes?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the actron worked, no codes at all. i'm just trying to make one of the 3 i have work for my wife. Its just a summer play around car. the 2000 hardtop 1.8 turbo was got for parts car, interior , etc. the other 2005 it a conv. like this one but 1.8 turbo. I cannot get the wiring fixed. multiple people tried. so i was going to take that one transmission and stick it in the 2.0 convertible same year. If that won't work i am going to sell all 3.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just tring to see if it would work or not and if its worth it because a used one is ridiculous. Would be different if was daily driver

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i can't use the 2000 turbo hartop car cause the wiring connections etc look totally different

·
5/23/10 <3
11,299 Posts
As I said before, the transmissions are made for different engines, so gearing will be different but it should fit. You'll need to swap over the TCU I imagine.

Does the Actron scanner see the transmission module to scan that for codes? If it does and you don't have any codes, I would be surprised if the transmission really is broken catastrophically. Did you check the axles and make sure those are in good shape? We rescued a '01 Jetta TDI a number of years ago that had issues as well - wouldn't roll in any gear other than reverse. Had a number of codes that told us the trans was blown.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes i checked the Axles and they are in good shape and yes it does read trans codes and are none. Scanners won't pick up a mechanical issue like broken linkage or something like that. I don't think its worth messing around and think i am going to sell all 3 as a package deal. if a replacement trans was reasonable i would go down that road or if this was an exact match i'd go forward but since this will behave different i don't want to go thought the process of pulling two trans. and installing one on a guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts