VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2005 convertible and last time I put the top down it would not go back up. Did the manual release to get it back up. Any ideas to begin troubleshooting on my own?

· Registered
19,260 Posts
Typical issues, are failed convertible top position sensors or loss of top settings; check out this video, for more info:

In this case, they are using a VW scan tool; VCDS by Ross Tech. You may need to just try a reset or you could have a fault in the system and actually need to replace a part, like a failed sensor.

· Registered
37 Posts
Try running the windows up and down two or three times using the all windows switch. All the work I have done on my granddaughters I have pissed the top off several times and this works for me but I don't have any idea why. The best explanation I have come up with is that most components are VDO. I firmly believe that this is an abbreviation for voodoo. I know of on other word in the English language that better explains the weirdness of German electronics.

· Registered
19,260 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Hello, I have a 2005 convertible and last time I put the top down it would not go back up. Did the manual release to get it back up. Any ideas to begin troubleshooting on my own?
My problem was the passenger side window motor's module was blown; it didn't show up on the dealership tool. In fact, they told me they could not see a problem ... and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work ... I order window motors from Auto Zone (Dorman brand) and the other major parts sellers(no name brand). So, I went to the junk yard after finding in the VW website that I could use a hatchback PW motor or convertible ..... started with hatch -back which worked and later the same months a 2005 PW motor from a convertible showed up in a yard 45 min from my house ... everything works perfect ... including the window dropping a 1/2 inch before opening. My Tip ... make sure all you windows work and use OEM parts (they are at the salvage yard & used part sellers).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts