VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newly attached Bug owner and have some codes that have me wondering. I get 5 codes when I scan and my Bentley manual tells me no more than my scanner:mad:

1) Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112). Open Circuit: P1432
2) SAE: Turbocharger Bypass Valve Control Circuit: P0033
3) Camshaft Timing Adj. Bank1 (N205): Open Circuit: P1528
4) Solenoid Valve (A) for Boost Pressure Control (N75) Malfunction: P0243
5) Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction: P2261

Could these be all related? Where do I start?

One more thing grabbed my attention yesterday when I parked. The display popped up some odd characters, letters, and numbers. I took a picture because I could not describe it.

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
11,236 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
How long have you had the car??

It is a convertible, how much moisture has been inside the car.

I probably know what is wrong with the dash display, but I would like to hear the answers to the above questions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have cleared them a few times and they come back. The car drives fine. I have had the car for a month, previous owners had it for 4 years. It just turned over 95,000 miles when I was test driving it.The car starts and runs fine, I have no issues other than the CEL. No idea how much moisture has been inside the car as I just bought it. It was stored for the winter when I bought it. There is a sticker on the engine that says the timing belt was replaced at 72,000. The dash is fine, that weird display popped up but did not stay on it.

OK now I am ready for your ideas, or questions :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
If the dash problem continues to haunt you, I would bet there is oxidation of the solder joints for the multi pin chips. This is actually Lead Oxide, a white crusty style oxidation.

You can remove the instrument cluster and take a tooth brush and and can of compressed air and scrub and of the chips with oxidation and blow the residue off with the can of compressed air.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So no one has a clue of one code could be causing the rest or another one? This worthless Bentley service manual tells me nothing about the faults that the Vgate code reader tells me. Makes me think there are just sale people telling people that their items are the greatest when in fact they are not.

·
Registered
14,350 Posts
To start understanding the meaning of the trouble codes from your VW; it is best to try the Ross Tech Wiki site here: Ross-Tech Wiki

Use the right hand corner search area or click on "trouble codes"; to run down the list of codes and their definitions.

Here is a list; that Bentley Publishers has online but it does not give as much helpful info as the Ross Tech Wiki does: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/vw/vw.dtc.table.htm

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update!! I took my Bug to a local mechanic who was recommended by a friend who had work done on his VW. I had new timing belt, tensioners, water pump, engine accessory belt, cam position sensor, plugs, coil pack, and a couple other sensors that were throwing codes. After he got them installed he cleared the codes and they came right back. He did more testing and found all code throwing sensors had no power to them. He found that a previous owner had removed the fuse for the sensors. He put a new fuse in and cleared the codes. He test drove it and I drove it home (about 10 miles) and no codes came up!! The wife will take it on a longer test drive next week and if the codes come back, I will update again, but as of now I am super happy!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts