NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight is the first time I have driven my car in a downpour and beside the roof leaking (after treating with 303) my belts got wet and started slipping causing the battery light to come on, power steering squealing, etc. I remembered that there is no guard under there. When looking online for one, most of them say, "except convertible". Why would it being a convertible affect the splash guard?

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Because the NBC comes with a more durable plate that actually protect your engine unlike the plastic piece on hardtops. The NBC needs extra protection because it doesn't have the hard top..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because the NBC comes with a more durable plate that actually protect your engine unlike the plastic piece on hardtops. The NBC needs extra protection because it doesn't have the hard top..
Do you know where I can get an after-market one or do I need to get it from the dealer?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You likely will not find an aftermarket one for the convertible that will work out well.

Junkyards will likely end up with a damaged metal shield.

Dealer it is about $300 as I recall?

You might try these sources.

There are also 2 plastic side pieces that are needed as well and they are about $70 each as I recall.

Then there are 14-15 bolts and screws that are required.

VW Parts | Volkswagen Parts

Volkswagen Parts 2Go | Genuine VW Parts 25% Off

·
Registered
758 Posts
On a convertible, that metal piece is a structural part of the car, so I'd replace it a.s.a.p. Personally, I'd still check for junkyard parts first. Sure, it may have some scratches on it, but as long as it's not dented, it ought to be o.k. Plus it mounts under the car, so its appearance would not be that important to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts