NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a VW Beetle GLS 2.0L last week and it seems that the transmission may have some sticking solenoids in the valve body. There's a lag followed by a sudden kick into gear that only happens when shifting in the lower gears (1-3). It also hard shifts at times when the automatic transmission is downshifting prior to a stop at a traffic light. It seems to happen less when the engine is still cold.

Would a transmission fluid, filter, and gasket replacement fix this problem or do I need to go ahead and replace the valve body while in there? I'm looking at getting this kit from Blauparts https://www.blauparts.com/vw-beetle-atf-transmission-fluid-change-kit-6-speed.html. Also, is there a fill plug anywhere else other than the actual drain plug itself on the 2005 GLS 2.0L model?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
The typical steps would be, to get the car scanned for trouble codes with a vw specific scan tool like vcds by toss tech. Sometimes, a external transmission related sensor will fail causing problems or the external wiring harness; can cause connectivity issues. Those issues, will normally throw trouble codes; aside from that, sticking solinoids in the valve body are common, replacement with a rebuilt valve body and new internal ribbon wiring harness, fresh fluid/filter, has been a successful fix for many.

Ultimately, there are no guarentees, this will fix your shifting problems; as there could be internal issues that require a terardown to find the problemor a total rebuild to fix it. So, that would be some steps to do, before getting a replacement valve body; as always, no guarentees but we seem to have had a high success rate around here with replacing valve bodies with professionally remnufactured and tested units. I hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts